Thursday, January 2, 2020

In the beginning...


"In the beginning..."

The very first words in the whole Bible.  I find them very fitting for today.  As we stand, two feet into the new year, we step into a new beginning.  Not sure of what 2020 will bring, but grateful that we are here, getting to see it...we try to think of January as the month of new possibilities.  However, the concept of "new" might bring conflicting feelings and emotions.

The idea of "new" could be simply overwhelming...especially when we don't know what "new" involves. 

For a born-pessimist like me, "new" could often imply worries:  new problems, new cares, new fears, new unknowns, new uncertainties. Even something fun like buying a new sofa brings in the added bonus of new issues:  are we going to be able to keep it clean?  Are we going to be able to keep the dog from sitting on it? Are we going to be able to keep it nice?  Is it going to be comfortable? Is it going to be sturdy? Is it going to last? is it going to be good quality? Is it going to look like the one on the picture?  Is the color going to be right?  Should we just keep the ones we already have?

"New" could bring so much headache into the life of someone so hung up on stability...that...sometimes, "new" is just not worth it. 

Many times, however, "new" is not an option.  No matter how much we might try to resist it, "new" just comes in and takes over...leaving the old behind...and making us step into an unrecognizable situation.  No matter how much we pray for "same" to stay, "new" takes over, presenting us with a choice:  embrace it or reject it.

Control-freaks like me have attempted to reject "new" before...only to find out it is a futile undertaking.

What to do?  What are people who fear "new" to do in order to keep from perishing when faced with its approach?  I don't know, but I have a feeling that the answer is found on taking baby steps of trust and fully relying on God for peace, comfort and refuge.

This new year, I pray I can let go of my useless obsession with trying to keep all things same, and trust that my every step is guided by the Holy Spirit who lights up my walking into new pathways.  I pray that this "new" beginning brings hope instead of fear.  I pray that I learn to cling to what matters: the promises of God, and realize, once and for all, that all of them are true!

Because of the LORD’s loving devotion we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your Faithfulness! Lamentations 3: 22-23

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.