Saturday, June 20, 2020

A Sheep in Armor?

...so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. Ephesians 6: 11b

The second half of verse 11 in Ephesians 6 is really sobering.  Notice it does not say: so that if the devil schemes, you can stand against it... No, there's no "if" here.  It is a given:  the devil schemes.  That's what it does.  The enemy is constantly scheming against us.  Like Peter reminds us in his first letter, chapter 5: 8

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5: 8)

Both of these men warning us about the reality of the enemy's state of constant attack know what they are talking about.  Paul and Peter, the pillars of the church, experienced in the faith, apostles of Jesus, one walking alongside Christ in the flesh, the other one in the spirit, both thoroughly tested and tried by satan...both victorious in the strength of the Lord.  They sure know what they are talking about.  And they are both giving us words of immense wisdom:  watch out!!

"Be alert and of sober mind."  "Put on the full armor of God."  Arm yourself so you can do your part to protect yourself against the certain and constant schemes of the enemy who is always looking for someone to devour...we are the devil's prey...we are what the lion hunts and kills to feed...and yes, prey usually does not have much hope for survival when lions are roaring and prowling, looking to devour them.  Indeed, there isn't much they can do.  What can a sheep really do to protect herself against a crouching lioness waiting to pounce? Other than to cry out for help, not much else.  We, however, are the sheep whose Good Shepherd has given a full armour to wear!  

I know, how crazy and ridiculous that image looks, right? A sheep dressed heat to ... hoof ... on an armour ready for battle.  That just doesn't compute.  Exactly!  That's the beauty of it! That's how Amazing Our Great God is!  He has given us, helpless sheep, a full armour so we can stand the attacks of the enemy!  All we have to do is put it on!  However, so many of us, me leading the line, do not realize it.  I still think of myself as that defenseless sheep that cannot do anything other than what prey does:  fall and be caught and destroyed.  I am so focused on how helpless I am as a sheep, that I forget I have a Good Shepherd who has given me an armour.  I'm so blinded by fear that my eyes can't see the truth.

And the truth is that, not only has the Good Shepherd given me an armour, the armour is just for protection so I can stand firm...the battle is actually not even fought by me.  He fights it.  He is the One Who Defeats the enemy!  I just have to stand firm!  And even more amazing, The Good Shepherd is also a Lion who is even more fierce and infinitely more powerful than the caricature of a lion the devil is.  

I am able to take a stand against the enemy.  I have been equipped with what I need in order to do just that.  Now, let's review the items in this armour one by one, praying that the Holy Spirit Who Lives in us enlightens our souls, strengthens our hearts, clears our minds and focuses our eyes so we can know the reality of Jesus in our lives.  In His Precious Name.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.