Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I Trust the One Who Knows Me



An important part of trusting someone is to be aware of his/her past actions so we realize how dependable that person really is. By knowing what they have done in the past we can anticipate, to a pretty accurate and reliable degree, what they will do in the future. That’s why it is easier to trust an old friend than someone who we have just met.

We, hopefully, all have a special someone or someones to whom we go whenever we are in great need of advice, guidance, support, company, a shoulder to cry on, etc., etc., etc. We go to them because they have been there before and we have a well-developed sense of their reliability. We have had a relationship with them, and out of that relationship, trust has been built.

So it is also with God. Our trust on God develops, grows and solidifies…because we know Him…because we have a relationship with Him. The more we know Him and the longer we walk with Him, the more intimate our relationship becomes and the more we remember what He has already done for us. Just like a good old friend, the more we know Him, the more we trust Him because we know He is Faithful:

In that day they will say, "Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD, we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation." Isaiah 25: 9

He is that “Old Friend.” He is the Oldest of Friends whom we have known since before we were formed. As anxiety and fear begins to build up in our hearts, let us remember our relationship with Him. Let us remember how He is that Friend who has always been there for us regardless of how we have treated Him. He is the Friend we can always call, regardless of the time of day or circumstance. He is our most reliable Friend for we recall His promises and see that they are all true!

Our trust, however, doesn’t only come from the fact that we know Him. Ultimately, our trust is truly based on the fact that He knows us. It is because we have a God who knows us and seeks us to the point of becoming man Himself in order to come and walk among us and die for us, that we realize how deep and wide and high and long His care and love for us is (Ephesians 3: 18). At a very personal and intimate level…He knows us…He knows each one of us at such a deeper level we’d never have anyone else knows us that way ever:

You have searched me, Lord,

and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways. Psalm 139: 1-3

That is why we do not fear. He who created us and knows us, loves us and redeems us:


But now, this is what the Lord says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; Isaiah 43: 1-3a

Therefore, I know that because He knows me, I can face whatever life throws at me. Therefore, instead of fear I choose to trust and praise!



Praise the Lord, my soul;

all my inmost being, praise his holy name. 
Praise the Lord, my soul, 
and forget not all his benefits— 
who forgives all your sins 
and heals all your diseases, 
who redeems your life from the pit 
and crowns you with love and compassion, 
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103: 1-5


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.