Monday, May 28, 2018

A Day of Remembrance

Memorial Day in my mind is a day dedicated to remembering...remembrance...the act of recalling to mind...and yes, I remember and honor those whose sacrifices have made our freedom possible, but I also try to use it to remember the blessings of fond memories in general.

I have conflicting issues with Memorial Day in my personal life...but, today, I want to be intentional about focusing on the blessings rather than on the hardship.  I want to look at my kids and remember all the fun we've had together so far.  I want to look at my husband and recall the many years of love we've shared.  I want to look at my friends and reminisce about the joy of our times together.  I want to look at my extended family and embrace the lifetime that unites us...as we leave behind the things that may divide us.

I just spent the most wonderful week with my family from Panama and I want to enjoy the memories of that week so they can sustain me until the next time we are all together again.  That's the kind of things I want to spend the day doing...but...my mind gets twisted into a knot and my thoughts and actions don't follow my plan...so...the nice day of remembrance I was hoping for becomes a mess.

I allow the stress of my life, real or fabricated, to ruin my good intentions.  Instead of quiet reflection, I engage in displays of loud short-temperedness and the entire peaceful mood I was hoping for disappears as my explosiveness ignites.

Why can't I be one of those quiet and serene women who never seem perplexed, irritated, stressed out, frazzled, frustrated, vexed...sigh...

I am a ball of raw nerves, a vest lined with dynamite, a nitroglycerine truck...I don't know...the Hulk! sigh...

This is my year of peace...I want to cling to that peace...the peace that only Jesus can give.  I want to cling to the words of the prophet:

You will keep in perfect peace
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you. Isaiah 26: 3

That is the key:  keeping my mind fixed on Him!  I want my mind to stay on Him, the source of all Peace so I can just rest in His Faithfulness as I trust Him with everything that is going on in my life.  I want my mind to stay on You so You can keep me in perfect peace!

May the Holy Spirit guard our thoughts and direct them towards His Face today and every day.  Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.