Thursday, August 9, 2018

Immortality without a Soul?

Have you ever thought about how our culture pushes us into materialism?  And I'm not just talking about the idea of material acquisition.  What I'm thinking about today is how our culture pushes the pursuit of youth and physical pleasure as the keys to immortality...which is the only and most desirable goal worth pursuing. 

I know this may sound as a strange thought, springing out of nowhere.  But, what has made me think of these things is the fact that I just watched the last movie in the Twilight Saga last night...yes...I know, I know...and at the end, I was left with a really bad taste in my heart, if that is even possible.  This movie and the novel(s) it's based upon forward the idea of immortality as the ultimate goal because as an immortal, life truly becomes magnificent and youth and pleasure become a permanent reality...all these mascaraded behind a love story that pulls at the romantic sensibilities of our lonely hearts.

The thing is that, such culmination of the quest for eternal life in this world comes after the person surrenders his/her soul...not to Our Loving Father and Creator in an act of trust and faith; but to nothingness.  They surrender to a frozen life sustained by the blood of others who ceased to be brothers and sisters to become the next meal.

The paradox is, however, that the immortal life proclaimed is flawed.  How could anyone be immortal without a soul, when the soul is precisely what makes us immortal?

As we see in these movies over and over again, the revered and sought after immortality it forwards, could, indeed, end, in an act of gross dismembering, finished by a torching that leaves nothing but ashes; a rather pathetic and hopeless ending to the glamour promised.  The only way to avoid it is by sticking to strict rules and to keep running, always on the move...since losing the material life means disappearing forever. 

The "forever" that is so prevalent in this example of a cultural product emerging from a society fixated on the material is, therefore, nothing more than an illusion.  Its fragility is disguised in a costume of physical strength and beauty that seduces the senses, but that, in the end, could still turn to dust.  The soul is disregarded as something of lesser value when compared to the lust and the longing for the things of this world.

This "forever" is a deception that blindly leads its victims to forfeiting the seed of true immortality that already lives in them: 

What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Mark 8: 36

This movie and corresponding books are nothing more than false propaganda which, if not careful, might consume our minds and elevate lies to the place where only truth should stand. 

To live forever? in this world?  Why would I want that, if the truth states:  to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Philippians 1: 21)

To forfeit our soul so we can have a body that does not know decay and death?  Why would I want that if the truth assures me that, regardless of my current suffering in this flesh and blood body, God has something perfect waiting for me:

For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. 4 While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.

6 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. 7 For we live by believing and not by seeing. 8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. 9 So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him. 2 Corinthians 5: 1-9

I am not trying to be legalistic here and condemn those of us who consume the products of our culture that forward lies and a blurred view of reality.  I'm just saying, mostly to myself, really, to be careful when we do, so we don't buy into the deception and become obsessed with the things of this world.  

I pray I don't feed on the ashes this world offers me.  I pray I don't fill my heart with a love for this world that leaves no room for the One and True Love that is in me.  I pray that I am not conformed to the patterns of this world, but that I'm transformed by the renewing of my mind (Romans 12: 2).  I pray that My Heavenly Father protect me from the evil one who rules this realm, as I am not of this world, like Jesus is not of this world (John 17:14-16).  I pray for strength for this battle for my soul, because my "struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6: 12)  

Yes, our culture pushes us to the pursuit and worship of the things of this world.  However, this is not our home.  I pray we are always aware of the truth, as we host Him, Who is the Truth, in our hearts, in the Precious Name, Above All Names, the Name of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ who is in me and in you...the protector of our souls...the most valuable commodity we possess.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.