Monday, September 9, 2019

Crossing the Jordan

It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Deuteronomy 31: 8

As I type the encouraging and uplifting Scripture of today, I realize how much I needed to hear this.  I'm entering a season of anxiety; therefore, the words that Moses spoke to Joshua, his successor are truly fitting for me today.  I too feel as if I'm about to step into my own personal Jordan.  So I imagine how Joshua must have felt when Moses passed on the staff to him as the new shepherd of Israel?? I figure he must have felt a bit of anxiety to say the least.

Can you imagine having to fill Moses' shoes?  I mean, talking about feeling inadequate! Joshua, however, had a very important thing in his favor: his faith.

Remember, he was one of the two spies that were optimistic after 12 of them had gone into the land of Canaan.  Joshua and Caleb where the only ones who figured they could take the giants of Canaan...the other 10 felt like grasshoppers, fearful and disillusioned.  Joshua had become Moses assistant and for years he lived by the leader of the Israelites, preparing for this moment where he would be the one leading God's people across the Jordan.  Therefore, despite his nervousness, Joshua counted on God's reliability and faithfulness...and so did Moses when he officially presented Joshua as the one who would lead them from then on:  "It is the LORD who goes before you..." Moses said.  In other words: you need not be afraid...for the actual burden of leading is upon God's shoulders.  He is the True Shepherd...He goes before all of you!

I take those words at face value.  I believe they are spoken to me and to all of us all these many millenia later.  "The LORD goes before you..." when you face the current in front of you, be not afraid, He is already in the water.  Step in faith, He leads you...and He will not leave you or forsake you.

So, it's OK if the Jordan awaits.  I know who goes in front of me!

May these words become part of us as we prepare to cross our every-day-Jordans.  May we not be dismayed, for His strength sustains us, in the precious name of Jesus! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.