Monday, September 2, 2019

September Attitude


As I open the windows and let in the cool breeze in this gloomy Labor Day morning, I can't help but think on how much I want summer back!  With a deep sigh I realize no matter what I do, however, summer is coming to its inevitable close to usher in fall with its melancholic hues...and I want to protest!  Everywhere I go, pumpkin spice is in the air already, while the cheerful flip-flop-themed store displays sit clumsily on the corners of a forgotten clearance aisle.  And I can't stand it!

But, I can't stop it either...

Summer with its carefree days in the heat and fireflies at night is behind.  The time for fun trips and family vacations is over.  The anticipation of exciting places to visit and embracing loved ones that we see only once a year has passed.  The wonder of discovery and the relaxation of lazy afternoons on the deck are all gone.  Bathing suits, movie projector for night-time flicks under the stars, outdoor furniture...are all stored away. And the relentless spin of Earth, with its unstoppable cycle of the seasons continues, forcing sad goodbye-rituals to my favorite time of the year, as the one I most fear is already knocking on the door. 

As I select the fall wreath that will hang on the front, and think of colorful mums blooming in pots at the bottom of the steps, I'm reminded there's nothing I can do to stop the passing of time.

Sigh...

Medical tests loom in the horizon, and I cringe; work piles up, and I fret; High School Senior-year commitments approach, and I tremble; Middle School struggles slap us on the face, and I snap; car problems, dirty house, uncooked dinner, unanswered e-mails, dog needs a bath...Mom comes undone...

Is there anything I can do to stop the madness? 

Yes! There is something I can do to face the avalanche that comes with the new season: trust that the One who created them, walks with me, guiding me and giving me the strength I need to face what's ahead.

The fear that grips me reminds me that I am weak.  There's no way I can do it by myself.  But that same fear and weakness also remind me that I don't have to, because: 

“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you." Psalm 56:3

In my fear and in my weakness, the Holy Spirit reminds me that it is precisely there, where My Heavenly Father finds me, and whispers in my ear:

  “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

In my despair, He guides my every step:

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 4:6-7

Yes, it is a gloomy, September morning.  And even though, we might still have some days that might resemble summer, gone are the golden, not-much-to-do moments with kids laying on the couch, and Mom fixing lunch in the background.  It's time again for rushed breakfast, catch the bus, make sure there's money in the meal accounts, leave for work, pray we didn't forget anything at home moments that take our breath away.  But I can still make it a point to find the beauty here, right where I am...as I change more than the wreath on the door, I have to change my September attitude!  I have to change my perspective and believe in the plan of the One Who Holds my Days in His Hands!
 
Lord, may Your Holy Spirit always remind me that in every season, in every moment, in every circumstance You are with me and Your strength, grace and power are, indeed, sufficient! I hang on to Your promises and I choose to trust You.  In the Precious Name of Jesus. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.