Thursday, August 29, 2019

When Will I Ever Get This?


Today's devotional reading hit it right on for me.  It combined two concepts I am struggling with at this moment of my life:  trust and stillness. 

As I am entering the busyness and craziness that comes with the beginning of a new semester, medical tests, homework, senior year, driver license tests, teaching at two universities, planning events, deciding what to cook for dinner or what to wear, finding time to get to the store to buy a new leash for the dog and picking up my pills...being intentional about setting time aside to be still and just trust, becomes a great challenge for me.

Trusting that the world is not going to collapse, that opportunities are not going to be missed, that people are not going to vanish, that love will remain, that everything is going to fall into place instead of apart while I take time to spend in quiet, one-on-one communication with God is rather difficult.  And it is difficult because I don't trust.  I don't fully trust that God is the One in Control.  I don't trust that He, and not me, is the One who takes care of things.  I don't trust enough to let go, even for just a few minutes, to dedicate to "sitting quietly in His presence."  I don't sit quietly in His presence often enough, because I don't trust that the world will continue its relentless spin if I'd do... as if it were me who makes it spin, right? ... when will I ever get this?!

Sigh...

What I need to realize is that my approach is completely wrong.  It is, precisely, in that act of setting time aside to be still before the Lord that I demonstrate my trust, and, like my devotional reading suggests:  "By waiting with Me before you begin the day's activities, you proclaim the reality of My living Presence.  This act of faith - waiting before working - is noted in the spirit world, where your demonstration of trust weakens principalities and powers of darkness."  (Sarah Young, Jesus Calling)

It takes faith to wait in the Lord...it takes trust to have faith...it takes love to trust.

I find my trust when I remember that I am dearly loved.  Regardless of what the world might show me or what I might go through or the lies of the enemy, the truth is that I. AM. DEARLY. LOVED. and that's all I need to know.  I rest in His love.  I give thanks to the God of Heaven, for His love, surely endures forever! (Psalm 136: 26) And I pray that the Holy Spirit allows me to remember every single moment of my day, that I can trust Him enough to draw near Him.  That the "most effective way to resist evil is to draw near Him." And that sitting in His presence is the best action I can take when I feel like there isn't enough time in the day. Thank you, Lord Jesus for Your Faithfulness...

How precious is your unfailing love, O God! Psalm 36:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.