Thursday, November 5, 2020

Jesus is Always Working in the Background

 This morning, I read a wonderful closing prayer in the devotional booklet: Our Daily Bread that I would like to reproduce here:

"Father in heaven, please help me to believe that You are always working in the background doing far more-and much better-than I know or understand."

This is my prayer for today, and for everyday...for every instance when we anxiously await for whatever events we are fearfully anticipating: a doctor's phone call, a meeting at work, a conversation with a long-estranged family member, the possibility of the end of a relationship, the future of your children, the results of an election.  Whatever it is that is causing us great stress due to uncertainty and anticipation, we can rest assured that Jesus's got it!  He is working in the background...ALWAYS!  He is moving and shaking things.  Nothing happens on any realm without His knowledge.  Nothing is a surprise to Him.

The devotional also reminded me of something that is key:  "God has always known or hearts far better than we do.  So He didn't entrust the fullness of His plans even to those who saw His miracles and believed in Him."  This statement is paraphrasing verses 23-25 in John 2...and it is mind blowing to me.

I think I might have read this verses many times; but I believe today is the first time I really have truly allowed them to speak to me.  John records these words in his gospel to wrap up the scene of Jesus clearing the Temple courts in chapter 2.  That is one of my favorite stories about what Jesus did while walking on this earth as a man.  I love it so much because I can relate to Jesus' actions completely.  He is speaking to people like me, who have a fiery temper...and it's like He is saying to me:  Gisela, there is a time when I will use you, because there will be a moment, when I will need someone explosive to overturn tables for me."  

I don't know if I'm right...maybe I'm just trying to justify my lack of self-control...but, pondering on all of these this morning, when I'm still riddled with anxiety, makes me realize that God's plan is never fully revealed in one linear act. He knows what is in each person's heart.  He knows what we can handle. He knows how much to reveal at the perfect time.  And, above all, no matter how unstable and uncertain things look, He is always working in the background.  He's got it all in His hands.  He fights our battles and best of all, He is already victorious!

May we be able to rest and find comfort in knowing that the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ is with us always.  And may we remember that His Grace, IS sufficient.  Amen!

1 comment:

  1. As usual, Gisela this is awesome! I can totally relate. Thank you so much! Blessings to you and yours. 🙂

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.