Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Thanksgiving Week - Day 3

 Today, my devotional reading said: "Thankfulness takes the sting out of adversity." (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young) And one of the readings it pointed to was from Ephesians 5, a portion of which I'm reproducing below:

15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5: 15-20

I think these words are mightily appropriate for our current reality at all levels: world-wide, as a nation, as a state, as a family unit, as an individual.  We are living in times of adversity, and in my opinion, the greatest adversity is "because the days are evil." The warfare we face is within the spiritual realm, where good and evil are embattled for our souls.  However, even though the war and our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Ephesians 6: 12) We still have a role to play.  And we are to play it in a smart, not foolish way.  We ought to be sober minded.  We must be in Scripture, with the Psalms and songs of praise always on our lips; and always giving thanks to the Lord for everything carrying the Name of Jesus in our hearts constantly.  

That's how we take the "sting out of adversity."  We put on the Armour of God and live everyday with thanksgiving regardless of how evil seems to be taking over the world.  

Today, I am thankful for the things we can do in the midst of all the adversity caused by the pandemic and the political environment that surrounds us and isolates us and divides us.  Specifically, I'm looking at my own efforts to stay sober and in the Word, with songs of Thanksgiving in my lips.  Today, I'm giving thanks for the fact that despite the social and physical distance we are imposed I can be a part of a Bible Study with a small group of brothers and sisters in Christ through the use of technology.  I am thankful for those who had the initiative to get the Bible Study started.  I am thankful for the invitation.  I am thankful that I have a job that allows me to host the connection online.  I am thankful that I am carving out the time to participate.  I am thankful for the time to be digging in the Word and above all, I am thankful for the Hand of the Lord drawing us near Him...offering us the peace of His presence.

Today, I offer thanksgiving for the efforts of all of God's children who are making a conscious and intentional decision to stay sober, open His Word and give thanks for everything.  May the Holy Spirit continue to bless us with strength to remain in Him regardless of our circumstances so He can turn adversity into joy and peace.  In the Precious Name of Jesus, Our Lord and Savior.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.