Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy 2021

 It is the first day of the year 2021.  This is the first day in a year that the whole world has been waiting for.  As we receive this new year, I'm not really making resolutions.  I'm trying to decide on a guiding principle, instead.  I believe, my guiding principle for 2021 is the idea of how waiting is an act of hope.

As I sit here, contemplating what's to come...still waiting for things to change...I want to really, truly, be aware of the hope that springs and blooms while I wait.  I want to give myself fully, "to the adventure of increasing attentiveness" to the Presence of Jesus in my life.  This is what my devotional reading for this morning invited me to do...and a period of waiting is exactly the moment to resolve to do just that.

 Just like us, many of those involved in the birth of Jesus went through periods of intense waiting… but with a good measure of hope. Zechariah and Elizabeth faced their own struggles with doubt as they waited, but they were finally able to rejoice in the hope of a son, John, and the clear evidence of their Heavenly Father’s love and faithfulness. Mary accepted her predicament with humility, and hope flourished in her heart with each flutter in her womb. Joseph hesitatingly accepted his lot, but God instilled a hopeful vision in him as he ushered the Light into the world. The shepherds faithfully keeping watch were resigned to being society’s outcasts, until the night their faith was rewarded, and they saw living Hope in a holy baby boy.

 Today, as we wait for things to get back to “normal,” we should remember that Hope is a person, and He never disappoints. He, who is hope Himself, will lead us to hope, even if in the most unlikely places. For as long as we have life, His breath will remain in us. (Job 27:3) And so we have Hope, no matter what comes to pass.  Let's, then, renew our attentiveness...like the Maggi, let's seek Him, the Bright and Morning Star.  Let's be aware of His Presence as we journey to Him, Our Deliverer, Our Lord...Our Friend.

 Have a Blessed and Healthy 2021!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.