Thursday, January 28, 2021

Restoration through Conviction

 I don't believe inflicting an intense sense of guilt is the Lord's MO.  I think that's mostly a tool of the enemy.  However, I do know that the Holy Spirit convicts us.  What's the difference?  Well, I think, guilt is a feeling that debilitates and that causes us to hide in shame.  I think of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and how they hid from God because they felt ashamed and weak.  They did not want to be with God.  That's why I am convinced that guilt is a tool of the enemy.  He knows that when we feel guilty we run away.  We don't feel worthy of being in the presence of the Most Holy Lord, so we put distance between us.  And, one of the enemy's main purpose is to separate us from God.

God would not use something that drives us away.  It is completely counter productive and against all that He is all about, which is drawing us nearer and nearer to Him, in fellowship.

So, does that mean He just lets us get away with everything?  Well...of course not.  We know that.

I believe Our Heavenly Father uses other ways to make us pause and consider our ways.  He uses methods that will cause us to realize the wrong we have done, and move us towards repentance.  A repentant heart is one that seeks the Lord with all its might, because it is a heart that knows that we are children of a God of compassion, and that, even though He is Just, He is also Merciful, and He wants to restore fellowship...not drive us away.

What tool does God use in order to accomplish this goal, then?

I believe that God, in the Person of the Holy Spirit uses the tool of conviction to make it clear to us that we are on the wrong path.  I read that "to convict in Greek is translated as elencho which means, to convince someone of the truth; to reprove, accuse. So we see that conviction brings out the truth as it accuses us of our wrongs and rebukes us of our sins." (Biblereasons.com) 

Guilt, on the other hand, distorts the perception of reality.  Remember Adam and Eve?  The truth was that they had perfect and beautiful bodies, made in the image of The Maker. But, the guilt of their disobedience made them see themselves as naked, which they interpreted as something bad.  Then, what was meant to be the crown jewel of God's craftmanship, ended up being a source of shame that needed to be covered.  

Guilt also brings up the "blame-game."  Notice how in Genesis 3: 12-13 both Adam and Eve resorted to blaming someone else for their wrongdoing.  Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent.  Neither of them accepted that they had sinned, confessed it or showed any recorded sign of repentance in that scene.  

I don't know if it has happened to you, but, if I'm honest with myself, when I feel guilty, my first instinct is to shift the blame onto someone else. I want to try to clear my "good name" first.  Admittance of my own responsibility on the matter and repentance are not my first, or second moves.  I try other things first to see if I can steer clear from looking like the guilty party.  If God seeks restoration, which comes about through repentance, why would He use guilt, which typically moves us to a defensive position, not to a surrendered attitude?

That's why I believe that the Holy Spirit uses the tools of conviction to uncover the truth, so Truth can do His work...for as we know, only Truth can set us free. (John 8: 32)

The Holy Spirit works in our conscience and moves us to see our sin, and our responsibility in it, as He shows us God's righteousness and the hope of redemption and forgiveness that God offers in the Person of Jesus Christ.  And a desire to be right with God and live honorably by Him emerges, and gives us peace and strength to do our part in the process of restoration, which is repentance. 

Conviction offers us the promise of restoration.

Guilt crushes us and separates us from the Way, the Truth and the Life. 

May the Holy Spirit show us the path to true repentance so we can witness and experience how He is Faithful and Compassionate to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:8-10)  In the Precious Name of Jesus.  Amen!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.