Friday, January 29, 2021

Steadfast

 In 2 Chronicles 25 we learn about Amaziah, King of Juda and how he'd rather follow false gods...gods of defeat, than the Only God worthy of all of our worship, the God of Victory!

He had just experienced first hand the reality of the Almighty God, as he saw with his own eyes how it was true what the prophet had told him:  “The Lord can give you much more than that,” (2 Chronicles 25: 9b) after crushing his enemies even when he was underhanded.  But, what does Amaziah do upon his return home?  He bows down to the gods of those he had just defeated.  He decides it is a good idea to worship the false gods of those he had just slaughtered.  Does that make any sense?

Of course not.  But...don't I do that from time to time myself too?

Have you ever, after participating in a great victory, clearly delivered to you directly by the Lord, succumbed to the false gods of defeat, fear, doubt, panic, impatience, disillusionment, despair, lack of self-control...and so on?  I have.  At the slightest shift in my circumstances, at the first sign of detour, at the first smell of trouble...I crumble.  I become frightened.  My faithfulness shakes.  I lose my peace.  Isn't that sort of the same as what King Amaziah did?

Isaiah 26: 3 is a most beautiful verse, that brings me comfort when I think of my unfaithfulness to Our Heavenly Father,

You will keep in perfect peace
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.

"Perfect peace" ... what a wonderful promise.  How I long for a life in perfect peace.  But a mind that is steadfast, loyal, faithful, committed, devoted, dedicated is so very difficult to attain.  However, it is not of our own doing, but the Lord's...because the reason the mind can remain steadfast is because of Him...our job is just to trust.  We trust that God's own Faithfulness will cover us and transform our unfaithfulness with His Grace.  We know in our hearts that we cannot accomplish this on our own.  Therefore, we trust the One who can do it for us.

May our un faithfulness be dissolved as we remain trustingly in His Presence, by the Power of the One who is Faithful, Merciful and All-Loving.  In the Precious Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.