Friday, January 22, 2021

What Are the Odds?

“There is still one prophet through whom we can inquire of the Lord, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah.” 2 Chronicles 18: 7

This Bible verse struck me today...
Actually, I found it kind of funny.  I'm reading it again, and I can't help but chuckle a bit. I chuckle because it reminds me of myself.

It's not so much that I don't want to talk to certain people because they would say something bad about me...I don't want to talk to them because I know they would tell me the truth, and nothing but the truth.  And, to tell you the truth...I often don't want to hear it.

I know what they're going to say.  And I know it is NOT what I want to hear.  So, what do I do?  I avoid seeking their counsel all together.

Like Ahab, the King of Israel, who did not want to inquiry of the Lord through the words of the prophet Micaiah because he knew he would say something bad.  He'd rather follow the lies of the 400 false prophets whom he knew would tell him what he wanted to hear, than to listen to the only one telling him the truth, even if his life depended on it.  Ahab thought he knew better, and that he could out-maneuver and manipulate God's plan for him.  He surrounded himself with people who told him what he wanted to hear, and ignored the truth.

"Go for it!  You'll have victory.  You'll get all you want.  It's not wrong.  It's OK for you to follow on that path.  What cliff?  You'll be fine..."  

It's true that other people, those whom we trust are not the Holy Spirit.  But, if we surround ourselves with followers of Christ, the Holy Spirit lives in them, and often, it is Him speaking through them directly to us.  God can use anyone to send us messages.  But, I believe, that He especially uses His children to speak on His behalf to those who might be confusing their way.  Therefore, it is very important that we have brothers and sisters in Christ in our lives who would speak truth to us in our hour of confusion.  And more importantly, that we don't hesitate to pray the Holy Spirit enables us to seek such counsel when the moment calls for it.  

It is hard to hear the truth, sometimes.  It is hard to discern what the truth really is. It is difficult to stick with the truth, when there is a whole entire society telling us that there is no truth. Our path becomes very rough and lonely when there is a consensus trying to impose their will and their truth in us. It's tough when the odds are against us.  But, our very lives, our very souls, might be in danger if we keep listening to the lies instead, just because they are easier to digest...easier to go along with...easier to implement.

The odds were 400 to 1.  It seemed like a sure thing.  It would have been stupid to listen to the only one who was against the predictions of such a high consensus.  So, King Ahab ended up listening to the 400 right into his death...as prophesized by the only one voicing the word of the Lord.  I pray The Holy Spirit guides us not to make such a costly mistake.  In the precious name of Our Lord and Leader, Jesus the Christ.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.