Wednesday, January 27, 2021

He Makes my Feet like the Feet of a Deer

 A few days ago, someone very, very, very dear to me asked me for prayers.  Her request was very specific.  She wants me to pray for God to make her path clear.  As she is facing a crossroads, she wants God to make it "really obvious" to her, what decision she should make.

Don't you love that prayer?  "Lord, make it obvious to me what I should do!"  I told her I would have to adopt this petition for my own life as well.  It's the equivalent of "Please, give me a sign!"  A 'road sign' with a big arrow pointing and saying "go this way."  Wouldn't that be nice?

Life could be so confusing.  So often I feel as if I've totally made the wrong turn, and I find myself blindly walking on a dark path. I can't see where my next step will take me.  I'm hesitant.  I'm unsure about my footing.  I'm afraid I'm going to slip.  I feel heavy.  As the road bends and becomes steep, I'm out of breath. I wobble. I limp.  I trip. I stumble.  Then, after a long while trekking in the fog, it's like, I finally see it.  I see the road I should take...it is obvious...but, I'm so tired and beaten, I have no idea how I am supposed to go that way.  I can't do it.  I don't have what it takes to follow it...

Those are the times when Psalm 18: 33 makes a lot of sense:

He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights.

Growing up in Panama, I never got to see deer prancing around, ever! Over here, it's like I live among them, right?  And their agility and grace never cease to amaze me.  They run so fast, go up on hills, among bushes and trees, unfaced by the obstacles, trotting along, unimpeded. It's fascinating.  And God did that.  He designed their legs and feet in such a way so that they can move like that.  "He causes them to stand on the heights," indeed...where they can see and know.

The road becomes obvious when we stand on the heights, because from up there, we can see the big picture, and have more certainty of the way we should go.  And the Only One who can cause us to stand on the heights, is the One who can make our feet like the feet of a deer, even when we feel like we have the feet of a penguin.  

As we trust Him with our every step...as we traverse through thick fog, forest, darkness, sunshine, valleys, hills, mountains, meadows or plains...let us remember that He goes before us, and that He transforms us from wobbling to trotting, right when we need it, so we can follow Him unhindered.  In the Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the One who causes us to stand on the heights and gives us what we need to follow Him.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.