Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Empty Hands and Open Heart

 I know it's not Christmas, but, reading my devotional today made me think of one of my favorite Christmas songs:  Little Drummer Boy.  I've been a sucker for that song ever since I first heard it when I was a little girl.  Of course, back then, I was in Panama and the song was presented to me as:  "El Tamborilero."  I still love the Spanish version just as much...or perhaps a bit more.  The part that always gets me is the same in both versions:

Baby Jesus, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
I am a poor boy too, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
I have no gift to bring, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
That's fit to give our King, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
Rum-pum-pum-pum, rum-pum-pum-pum

In Spanish, this stanza reads:

Yo quisiera poner a tus pies
Algún presente que te agrade, Señor
Mas tú ya sabes que soy pobre también
Y no poseo más que un viejo tambor
Ropoponpon, ropoponponpon
En tu honor, frente al portal, tocaré
Con mi tambor

As you can see, even if you don't know Spanish, this version has more words...and perhaps, that's why I prefer it.  The language is more expressive and it really captures the essence of what the song is trying to communicate:  I am poor, Lord...I have nothing to give that would be good enough for You...but I give you all I've got...and I give it to You with all my heart.

If that's not the attitude we need to display in front of Our Lord and Savior, I don't know what is.

The short reading this morning spoke to me about this when it said:  "Come to Me with empty hands and an open heart, ready to receive abundant blessings." (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

Christ's calling to us is not about us bringing Him things or deeds...it's to come to Him...to follow Him...just as we are...regardless of our empty hands.  All that He requires is an open heart ready to receive Him.  He wants us.  The ancient Israelites thought that by doing the sacrifices they were maintaining the law and fulfilling their duty toward God.  But they didn't worry about the condition of their hearts and spirits.  Therefore, their sacrifices were hollow.  So are ours.  Our offerings are empty if our hearts and souls are not open to Him...open to repentance...open to His forgiveness.

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise. 
Psalm 51: 17

I have nothing, Lord.  I don't even have an old drum.  I just have me.  I trust Your righteousness, which was endowed to me by Jesus' Sacrifice is what makes me worthy of being in Your Presence.  I bring you my open heart and my empty hands...knowing that You are my Portion, My Savior, My Deliverer...the Lover of My Soul. In the Precious Name of Jesus, I pray.  Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.