Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Little "Chocolate" Boy

So God created mankind in his own image,
   in the image of God he created them;
   male and female he created them.
Genesis 1:27

“Mama, I don’t want to be chocolate.  I want to be white like everybody else,” Dylan somberly pronounced a couple of weeks ago with a frown in his face.  I have feared this moment ever since we decided to become an adoptive family, - the moment Dylan would begin to realize the differences-.  This moment seemed to be closer this day. 

I have always been concerned about not being able to provide the reassurance necessary to make him be never doubtful of his belonging to our family.  I have always worried that I wouldn’t know how to provide what he needs in order for him to realize that he is our son regardless of biology.  My concerns were put to the test that day.
 
Before this particular comment, Dylan has been mentioning here and there how his skin is “chocolate.”  Dan and I had been jokingly saying that he is chocolate because he is made of chocolate milk.  (Dylan’s passion for chocolate milk is matchless!)  But now, he was serious.  I could read a burden in his face and hear real concern in his voice.  I prayed.

To my surprise, Grant, who was “distracted” doing who knows what somewhere else, was the first one to speak, “you are different because you are special.  We are all special.  God made everyone special.”  I was stunned at how the Holy Spirit used Grant to show me the way.  No wonder Jesus tells us that the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like children. 

Truth transpired very clearly out of Grant’s mouth, for everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.  (1 Timothy 4: 4-5)  He made it all, and everything He made is good, and because we are the handiwork of the Most High, we are infinitly special. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. (Colossians 1:16)  By His hand and by His Word we were made.  If this fact alone doesn’t make us special, I don’t know what would?

Dylan’s inquisitive stare was still on me, so I quickly reinforced Grant’s words by saying, “yes, Dylan, you are God’s child.  He made you special.  You are special and so are all of us who belong to Him.  Besides, why would you want to be the same as everyone else?  That’s boring!”  To this, Dylan’s look of concern began to soften.  Grant agreed with me wholeheartedly, “yeah, Dylan, why would you want to be the same?  That’s terrible.  It’s better to be different.”  And different we are, indeed, I thought to myself.  I added how we are all different in our own family.  How we were all born in different places (I know, New Castle and Ashtabula don’t really sound as exotic as Panama and Guatemala, but they are different : ).  We also talked about the students at NCCA and how there are many children from China, and Korea and how there are African-Americans and how everyone looks different if you really pay attention. 

Toward the end of our conversation, I wasn’t sure how Dylan really felt about the whole thing, but he let it go.  I know that we will have many moments in which we will have to deal with Dylan’s questioning of the reasons why many things are the way they are.  I pray that the Holy Spirit comes quickly to our aide when we are to respond to him and that the words out of our mouths bring a truth that offers him comfort and reassurance.

A few days later, as we were driving down to do some errands, Dylan said again, “why do I have to be chocolate?”  However, at that time, I perceived a hint of mischievousness in the tone of his voice, so I looked at him on the rear view mirror.  His eyes met mine, and his look had sparks flashing back at me, with a smile that I know all too well by now.  His face was glowing with the thrill of tricking “old Mama.”  I smiled right back at him and said, “it’s because you’re made of chocolate milk…”  He rewarded me with a belly laugh filled with satisfaction and contentment which in turn filled my heart with warmth and love for my little “chocolate boy.”

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)



Dylan, being "different"... being himself.


2 comments:

  1. Gisela, this sounds like a children's book - PUBLISH!
    I love your blogs!
    We too have had many discussions on being chocolate/brown and that God made us each special and unique and "just perfect!"
    God bless Grant! Out of the mouths of babes - the clarity of God's Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michonda, you are way too kind. I have to admit that I have been thinking about a devotional for adoptive families. If the Holy Spirit inspires me, I will do it someday. I think it is needed. It is such a privilege and such a huge challenge, but guided by the light of our Lord we can do it! Adoption is very near and dear the heart of God. We are all adopted into His family, so He gives special blessings to the adoptive families if we seek His wisdom and His kingdom first.
    Thank you for your encouraging words. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.