Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Why are you so downcast, o my soul?

Today, I hear the words of Psalm 42:11 whispering in my soul, Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. 

I’m not sure why my soul is downcast.  I’m not sure why it is so disturbed within me.  Perhaps it is the advent of Christmas and the exhaustion caused by the preparations.  Perhaps it is the thought of all my loved ones for whom this Christmas will bring the spear of loss that pierces their souls.  Perhaps it is the knowledge of impending tragedy waiting in the near future.  Yet, it could very well be the open box that sits on my kitchen counter.  This “care package” has been weeks in the making, but still remains open because I’m unable to finish it with the right card to go with it. 

The small box contains a couple of books I thought would provide some comfort to a grieving soul.  I’ve had, however, the hardest time picking a card to write a note on and put in the packet.  How in the world am I to know what to say?  How am I to know what words to use which may reveal the love of our Father in Heaven?  How am I to know how to express that hope lives, because He lives? 

I am downcast because I can’t help but thinking about the recipient of this small box, a person who has lost it all this year.  I am downcast because, even though I’d like to mend the wounds and provide a breath of fresh air to the weary, I don’t know how.  I am downcast because I know that right at this moment there are those near and dear who are shedding tears and feeling the sting of bitter pain in their inner most being; and there is absolutely nothing I can do to make the hurt go away.
However, as I read in my devotional, “to know how best to bind up the broken heart…Christ chose to experience it Himself so He can minister to us by His example.”  I can’t do anything, but as surely as God lives, Jesus knows what to do, and He tells us.  He says to us:  "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
Our Lord Jesus says to go to Him for He will give us rest.  What a wonderful promise.  How full of hope.  The truth is that we could not find the comfort and rest we so desperately seek outside the road that takes us to Jesus.  He is the One and Only who can provide exactly what we need to heal and be whole again.  Without Him, we would always be lacking and in want.  Without Him there is no true hope.  Without Him there is no rest.  Without Him there is no peace.  Without Him there is no mending of broken hearts.  Without Him there is no victory. Whatever the reasons are for my downcast soul; I know that it is only through my trust in the delivering power of my Lord and Savior that true hope will be rebuilt and reborn in me. 
I look downstairs and I still see the small box sitting open on my countertop.  I don’t know if I’ll find the right card to put in it.  I hope I do.  I don’t know if the hands that’ll open it would uncover words that would bring comfort to her battered life.  The only thing I know is that my heart aches for those who suffer and that I lift up a prayer to the Healer of the broken for Him to touch and lessen the hurt of the hearts of the wounded.  He is the One who makes all things new.  May He make hope come in the morning for those who cry at night.  May He bring rejoicing to the empty hearts.  May He reveal Himself for His presence is the soothing balm that makes all things bearable.  May all the tears be collected in the bottle that He holds in His hand to be forever put away so the healing can finally start.

3 comments:

  1. Very touching Gisela. HE IS the light and the hope of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am down. I have no friends. I got to a very big church but it seems like no one notice me. I would go into the church service and would come out as empty as I would go in.
    I wish I could have friends to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I didn't get to see this message until now. the Lord works in mysterious ways and He does know you. He knows your name and He knows your pain. Hang on to Him and to His promises, and He will restore you. Sometimes attending a large church could be overwhelming. Do they have small groups that you can join? Those I know who attend large churches make great friends at these small groups. I pray that you can find one suited for you. I pray that the Lord shows you His presence in the midst of your loneliness. Sending you hugs!

      Delete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.