Monday, December 12, 2011

A Thoughtful Gift that Points to Christ

“I’d like to give you some figurines for your Nativity; but I don’t know where to buy them.  If I give you some money, would you buy them for you and the kids?”  This was my friend Judy’s Christmas present idea for us this year, to which I outwardly responded with a rather sedated, “O Judy, you don’t have to do that…” when inwardly I was more like, “YES!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!” 

My heart filled with joy when she made the suggestion.  I have an expanding Nativity Set at home which is a tradition that I imported from Panama when I moved to the U.S.  Every year I buy at least one new piece to add to the Nativity.  That is what my Mother used to do at home as I was growing up.  Every year, she’d go to the store and purchase something.  It is very easy to find pieces for the Nativity in Panama.  Down there, Nativity sets are not just restricted to the main characters of Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, the Wise Men and one lonely shepherd.  In Panama, people make the whole little town of Bethlehem!  They make “field and fountain, moor and mountains” with boxes and brown packing paper, all covered with moss and populated by villagers, shepherds, sheep, chickens, dogs, cats, ducks wading in ponds, water falls, caves, buildings and houses to complete the Bethlehem scene.  Nativity displays can be as big as a room in some instances.  Therefore, it is very easy to find all kinds of characters to add to your set every year. 

I remember how as soon as I was granted the badge of “responsible-enough- to handle the delicate figurines,” by my Mother, I became the official Nativity Display Setter at my childhood home.  I loved the role!  I waited with joyful anticipation the arrival of Advent so my Mom would finally get the new piece(s) for the year to begin arranging them on the privileged corner of our living room which had served as the location for the display since before I was born.  It was the best time of the year, indeed!  I remember the glee I felt carefully unwrapping each figurine, each building, each sheep, duck, chicken, camel, and designing in my head the ideal place for each one of them.  I remember having to wrestle with the old star year after year since it would just not stay put.  The wire hanger stand that my Dad had made for it originally, was not effectively holding it after a few decades.  I remember one of the Wise Men’s head had been glued and re-glued several times and I always had to handle it with extreme devotion.  So was the case of the main shepherd that used to stand by the manger.  These pieces, along with the Holy Family and the “Glory” angel were part of the original set my Mom had bought back in the 50s.  They were Italian hand-made intricate works of art.  Today, the beauty of the original pieces is recaptured by the Fontanini Family who still produce them.  And, though they lack the charm of the originals; they still dazzle with their details.

Those December afternoons setting the Nativity back in my childhood home have become a collection of my most precious memories.  Today, as I prepare for Christmas in my own adult home; I have had the blessing of being able to continue this lovely tradition with my children.  Finding new figurines to add to the collection every year, however, is quite more challenging in Western PA than it is in my hometown in Panama.  But, may the Lord bless the Internet, for sometimes, it does serve valuable purposes.  A few years ago, when Kraynak’s stopped bringing them, I was able to find Fontanini’s on-line!  And that’s exactly where we headed the day Judy offered us this precious idea for a present. 

That same afternoon, Grant (who has inherited my love for the Nativity Display) and I got to it.  I had to tell Grant to PLEASE narrow his choices  down to a top-three.  Later I had to give in and told him a top-five would be OK.  Even Dan got into it the “spirit” as he watched us wrestle with the limited funds and the endless variety of choices.  He pronounced the wonderful words, “How about if we throw in some more money so you guys can get more of what you want!?”  How about it!  So we did!  After Grant went to bed, I looked at his list.  He had made a price check between Amazon and E-Bay which resulted in a top-seven list from which I selected four. 

At any rate, Judy’s present has enabled me to talk to my sons extensively about my childhood and my Mother, whom they never got to meet on this side of Paradise.  The conversation has expanded throughout the days and continues even today, when we received the first two from our order.  Judy’s present has been a gift that points to Christ this Christmas and will continue to do so for as many Christmas as we spend together.  Every year, as we dig out the Christmas decoration boxes out of storage, and as we begin to plan the Nativity display, we’ll be able to remember where they came from, and the tradition will remain alive.  Memories will continue to be made around the manger scene year after year, as we try to bring Jesus’ birth to the forefront of Christmas the best way we can, and with a little help from dear friends!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I'm going to share it with Sam and Joanna.

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.