Sunday, January 15, 2012

Welcome Home

“Welcome Home,” that’s what the Airport Security Agent told me after he checked my documents and motioned me to approach an available Custom’s Window upon my arrival at the New Jersey International Airport.
The last seven days in Panama were filled with such high degree of emotional intensity that I was not looking forward to having to deal with rude and difficult government officials whom, though not intentionally, make air travel so much more irritating that it should ever be. The casually spoken words uttered by the NSA Agent (who probably routinely says them a bazillion times a day without even thinking about it, let alone caring how the words may impact those who hear them) pulled me out of the semi-comatose state in which I was submerged. 
Up until that moment, I had just been going through the motions, feeling rather numb in my mind, body and soul.  I had been wondering about how hard life could be, especially when you are pulled in opposite directions at the same time.  I had been lost in my thoughts about the challenges I’ve been facing, unsure of the future and consumed by the futility of my efforts to understand many of the situations at hand.  The sound of the impersonally spoken words, “welcome home” pronounced out of obligation and routine rather than kindness and care, snapped me out of my wandering thoughts, and placed me right in front of the truth of the reality I am experiencing. 
I am exactly where I am supposed to be.  The thought came to me as I sat down in the waiting area to wait for my delayed flight to Pittsburgh.  I’ve heard it many times, but I tend to quickly forget it or doubt its validity when things don’t go according to my desires.  It’s funny, however, how the Lord provides us with exactly what we need at exactly the perfect time, for later, on the plane, I pulled out the book The Resolution for Women and the thought was confirmed in a stunning way. 
In the chapter I read on the plane, Priscilla Shirer meditated on two key verses from Scripture.  First it was:  Jeremiah 1:5 “I chose you before I formed you in the womb; I set you apart before you were born.  I appointed you a prophet to the nations,” and then, John 15:16 “you did not choose Me, but I chose you.  I appointed you that you should go out and produce fruit.”  She said how we can “trust that He has planted us right now in the place where we will be the most personally productive.  Even if we may not be inherently pleased with the person He’s made us to be, even if we may not be abundantly happy with the circumstances we are currently living, we can be sure that God has planted us here with design and intention.  He has selected the soil where we’re presently growing…It’s all ben divinely designed to surround us with the conditions that allow our unique gifts and abilities to reach maximum potential.  To grow.  To yield.  To produce.”
Regardless of whether we like it or even understand His plan for our lives; we have to believe that He does have one.  We play a part in the furthering of His Kingdom.  He designed a specific role for us to play; one that we are uniquely qualified to fulfill.  Even our weaknesses are part of His design.  Our flaws all have a reason to be.  We were meant to have to deal with our “issues” in order for us to be ready to do whatever it is that He put us on this earth to do.  I struggle with anger, lack of patience, short temper, lack of self-control and lack of compassion, among many other things.  As I surrender such struggles to Him; His glory is revealed in me for I am able to deal with them and do what He has appointed me to do in spite of them, by His power, and His power alone.   
His plan for our lives, however, often includes situations and circumstances that we do not find particularly enjoyable.  It is easy to be content with our lot when our lot is a nice, leveled, and rich field.  Contentment becomes elusive when our lot is plagued with the weeds of diseases of the body and mind, poverty, loneliness and loss.  How do we reconcile the goodness of a supposedly loving God when we are facing tragic loss of loved ones?  How are we to see and perceive the love of our Heavenly Father, when our earthly fathers have abandoned us or rejected us or simply forgotten about us?  How are we to enjoy that peace that surpasses all understanding when the whole world seems to be crumbling down around us?  How are we to complete the task that He has divinely appointed us to complete when we are so weak and wounded that it hurts to even draw our next breath?
I don’t know.  The only thing I do know is that as children of the Most High God, we are His handiwork.  He created us, and in Jesus the Christ, He redeems us and saves us to do His good works, which He has prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2:10 NIV)  I have no clue how He does it.  All I know is that He knows, and He is the One who does it.  He chose me to play my very own part in His divine plan, and for that I humbly rejoice.  I rejoice in humility for I know that I am not competent in myself to claim anything for myself; but my competence comes from God, and from Him alone (2 Corinthians 3:5 NIV).  I didn’t choose Him.  He chose me since before He formed me in my mother’s womb.  He carefully designed me with all my “issues” and weaknesses; because He knows, in His infinite wisdom, that such was the best way for me to be able to meet His goal for my life.
The same way He does it for me, He does it for all of His children.  There is a reason for our life to be the way it is.  I know, many of the situations we might find ourselves involved with may be the product of our own wrong choices; but the Lord can use all things together for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).  Therefore, even our mistakes and wrong turns, even our loss and loneliness, even our shame enable us to play our part in His plan, if we surrender them all to Him, if we lay them at the foot of the cross and carry on with our own crucified life. 
He planted us wherever we are because this is the perfect soil for us at this time.  When it’s time for us to be transplanted, He will take care of that too.  It is because of His perfect purpose and will that He has given us the set of circumstances we face now.  We were called to have the children that we have, or to be childless; to have the spouse that we have, or to be single; to have the job that we have or to be jobless; to have the parents that we have or to be orphans or abandoned; to deal with the issues that we deal with; to minister in the way that we minister; to live the life that we live.  It is all for the fulfillment of His grand plan, if we are willing participants. 
If we decide to embrace His plan for us and believe He can use us as His vessels of grace, the possibilities would be endless.  We couldn’t even imagine the things that He could do through us, as we believe we are His chosen ones, set apart and appointed for His glory.
As I got off the plane in Pittsburgh, I hurried to the baggage claim area, where I knew Dan and the boys were waiting for me.  I saw them at the bottom of the escalators and waved.  Dan was the first one to see me.  He told the boys and they all waved as they moved closer.  I stepped off the escalator and we finally reunited in a big family embrace.  As I stood there held in the arms of my family, I heard the words, “welcome home,” and rejoiced.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.