Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I Love My Jesus

As I am sure, parents all around the world know, there comes a moment in the life of a child when he/she steps beyond the boundaries of the permissible into the realm of what is commonly known as “smart-mouth” territory.  Dylan is getting dangerously close to that boundary.  Therefore, Dan and I have begun to express our discontent with his behavior and have started to offer words of advice to him.  Such words are nothing profound or transcendental.  They include the usual, “watch your mouth,” “be careful with your words,” “think before you speak,” and the iconic, “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” 
I think our words of wisdom have had an impact on restraining Dylan from stepping out of line on the matter of speaking his mind too…freely.  For the last few days, I’ve been noticing that whenever faced with an uncertain situation that requires him to voice his input, Dylan is becoming increasingly hesitant and careful regarding what to say and how to say it.  More and more we are noticing that Dylan has found a phrase that is certain to provide him with a smooth sailing into a safe harbor.  No matter, really, what the situation is, my young son, when pressed for a comment on an uncertain topic, is becoming very fond of replying, “I love my Mama,” to then quickly maneuver out of the subject into safety.
Dylan’s little getaway utterance has made me think about how sometimes, while we are also maneuvering or attempting to, out of the storms of life, we find ourselves at a loss for words.  Often I have heard myself saying, “I don’t know what to or how to pray, Lord…”  Paul reminds me, however, how I am not alone in this predicament.  In Romans 8:26-27, the Apostle tells us how, “in the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.  And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.”
The Spirit comes to our aide always, particularly at those times, when our weakness of the mind, body and soul leave us wondering what to say.  At those times, the Spirit –inspired groans serve as our act of worship for He, the LORD, our King and Father understands the unintelligible and deciphers the utterances of our hurting hearts.  Dylan’s little safe phrase, however, also makes me think that we too have a similar phrase which will take us to the safety of our Savior’s arms all the time.  In those moments of total despair, confusion, fear, disillusion, sadness, trial, and worry, we can always steer clear into His safe harbor with a simple and heart-felt “I love you Jesus.”  There is power in His name.  There is power in our love for Him. Combine the two and we got victory over our circumstances and over the plotting of the enemy.
Just like hearing Dylan saying, “I love my Mama” puts a smile in my face and a song in my heart, I can only hope and dream that the sound of my voice speaking from the depth of my desolation may have a similar effect in my Savior’s heart.
I love my Jesus…I love my Lord.

 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
   and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
   in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
   to the glory of God the Father… (Philippians 2:9-11 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.