Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Stay in the Present!


Change is not an easy thing. Depending on your level of tolerance for uncertainty and on your ability to adapt, change can be actually terrifying. Particularly for people who seek stability and enjoy control (ME) seasons of change can be utterly stressful and anxiety ridden.

As my family is entering one of those dreaded seasons of great change, I’m reminded of the importance of keeping my eyes on the One Who Remains the Same! 

In order to do that, I need to meditate on the reason I experience fear when change falls upon my horizon. And the reason is quite simple. Fear rears its head when experiencing change because change is distracting and it makes me turn my eyes away from the Lord, away from His presence in the present and causes me to look/focus on the future. 

The Lord is the stability that I seek. He is the only one who can provide it. So when I turn my eyes away from Him, it is no wonder things begin to fall apart.  The thing is that He provides that peace that comes from the stability of His presence usually as we remain focused on this other detail: the present. 

Jesus tells us not to worry about anything and not to worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will carry its own problems, which added onto today’s become a burden impossible to bear. (Matthew 6: 34)
He wants us to rely on Him, for He is today. Christ is the Lord of all. Past, present and future belong to Him… but He wants us to stay focused on the present. Even though He is the One Who Was, Who Is and Who Is to Come (Revelation 1: 8)…His name is The Great I AM not the great I will (Exodus 3: 14). The implication of the present resides in His very name!

Therefore, when everything around me begins to shift and shake, and fear threatens to overpower me, I must drop it all, go to the One Who Never Changes and ask Him to help me not get ahead of myself...ask Him to help me stay centered on today. One day at a time, becomes then, a God-given philosophy worth practicing.

My prayer for all who are going through change right now…including myself…is that God may reveal Himself to us with every step we take, bringing us the comfort of His presence in the present and giving us the strength to not fear His plan, for His plan is perfect, even when we don’t understand it.

2 comments:

  1. 1 Peter 5:7. Cast all your cares on him, because he cares for you.
    Philippians 4:6-7. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

    Just a couple of reminders for you, my friend. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 Peter 5:7. Cast all your cares on him, because he cares for you.
    Philippians 4:6-7. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

    Just a couple of reminders for you, my friend. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.