Saturday, May 14, 2016

Doors of Understanding



For the last few days I’ve been thinking a lot about doors. It’s funny because the slogan for the Modern Languages and Cultures Department where I work is: “Languages Open Doors.” So the topic of doors is always fresh in my mind as I daily walk the hallways of our building and see the pictures of doors and the slogan posted on the bulletin board at a rather prominent place.

I happen to believe that languages do open many doors…at least that has been true to me ever since I learned English in my early twenty’s. For the last few days, however, I’ve been mostly focused on a different language that opens not many doors, but the door to all other doors: the language of prayer.

After an eventful week that began with my heart caught up into a relentless whirlpool of stress and fear that I thought impossible to escape, constant prayer has opened the door into a much more manageable course on a smoother current. But the thing is that prayer is not so much the key, but rather it is the language that helps me get more of an understanding of the heart of The One Who actually opens the door. By praying without ceasing, the Lord reveals Himself to me and allows me a glimpse into who He is and how He operates…into the quiet waters of His presence…so I can enjoy the peace that transcends all understanding.

Christ opens the doors…not me. It is His plan…not mine. The doors as well as the plan belong to Him, and Him alone. But prayer brings me closer to Him, which in turns opens the door of understanding. There is no door that will shut when He has opened it; or open when He has shut it. I just place myself in His hands and let Him open them and close them as we walk together.

To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of the One who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What He opens, no one will shut; and what He shuts, no one will open. I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Revelation 3: 7-8

May we learn the language of prayer as we allow the Lord to open and close all the necessary doors so we can follow His Path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.