Monday, May 27, 2013

Can Others Recognize Us by Our Fruits?

How often do you feel stressed out, anxious or worried about something or someone? Don’t ask me that questions because my answer may overwhelm you. I am a professional worrier. I’m the classic, “nobody in my house worries about anything because they know I will do all the worrying for them” type of girl. I’ve always been embarrassed to say I am a worrier. It doesn’t speak well of my spirituality, you know? There’s this thing in Matthew 7: 15-21, specially verses 20-21 where Jesus Himself says: “Why by their fruits you shall know them. Not everyone that said to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven…”

The fruits…they always get me…remember? Galatians 5: 22-23: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” I have such a way to go…The Holy Spirit has His work cut out for Him in me, I tell you. The field available in my soul to grow these fruits is not the most fertile… But I must trust that He is able to do what He says He will do. And one of the many wonderful things He has said is:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11: 28-30.

I trust that if I come to Him, He, in turn, comes to my rescue every time my heart fills up with fear and my shoulders break under the heavy yoke of the world. He tells us not to be afraid, we are worth more than sparrows and even they rest in His loving care! (Matthew 10: 31).

As I look at the fruits of the Spirit, I resolve to meditate in them this summer. I will take them one by one and see how the growing process is going. It is not an overnight process. It is a growing process, just like our gardens in the spring and summer. The Gardener of our Souls plants the seeds and it takes a long while to see them sprout. Unlike the seeds that are not conscious of what is happening to them, the growing process in us must be done while we are fully conscious of what is happening. It is an intentional undertaking, and we must stay aware in the procedure. That is my goal this summer: to become aware of the Fruits of the Spirit in me and I hope you join me and examine the growing of your own Fruits of the Spirits in your lives this summer too. I have no clue how this is going to be or what shape is going to take; so let’s allow the Spirit to lead us and see where He takes us. See you soon with a look at the first fruit, love.


Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3: 17-18

1 comment:

  1. I think I will join you in growing in the fruits of the Spirit this summer. It is so good to have you back after the school year. I will enjoy reading your posts this summer :-) and thanks so much for linking up with me over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.