Saturday, May 25, 2013

You Are My God, Just As You Were Theirs...


Usually, after I read my short daily devotional, there is always a phrase that lingers in my mind the rest of the day.-that is the blessing of doing daily devotionals, btw : ). This time the phrase was more of a thought...after the reading quoted the verse from Daniel 10: 12 “Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them," the devotional said: "You are my God just as You were his." And that's what got stuck in my head.

Our Lord is indeed the same today as He was yesterday and will be tomorrow (Hebrews 13:8). As a matter of fact, since He is the Great I AM, He always IS...He never really was. So of course He is the same God today that the Bible tells us about 5,000 years ago. Just as He is the same God who shows up for Daniel, to shut the mouth of lions, He is our God, who shows up in our daily grind to rescue us from the muck and mire. The thing is that so often our vision is so blurred by our lack of faith that we cannot see His radiance in our lives. We are so trapped in darkness that we have our backs to the light. However, light overcomes darkness (John 1: 5). 

We are of little faith, and we question the very existence of the One who created us and sustains us. However, Our Redeemer does live! He is the One who the winds and the waves obey, and He is the same who watches over me even when I am unaware of His presence. His ways are not my ways, that's for sure. And I want my ways to prevail...however, His ways are higher, as the heavens are higher than the earth (Isaiah 55: 8-9) Therefore, in the midst of my darkness and doubt, I must gather the mustard-seed-size-faith I have left and hang on to it with my life, as I wait for the night to pass and turn into the morning light.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. John 1: 3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.