Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Brief Thoughts on The Lord's Prayer

 I heard a minister say today something like, "turn the Lord's Prayer into a moment of intimacy with God." That stuck with me, especially since I've been trying to be more focused on prayer lately.  The thought convicted me because, if I'm honest with myself, often, reciting the Lord's Prayer is a rather mechanical moment...not much of a moment of intimacy.

Many times Dylan would come to me before bed seeking to have a few seconds of prayer, and I say dismissively, "let's just say the Lord's Prayer," as if just to get him off my back...as if I'm so busy I can't spare a few moments of intentional prayer with my son who is asking for it...I know...I know...

What most perfect prayer than the words that Jesus, Himself taught us?

Why do I treat it like something rote...almost devoid of meaning?

Why can't I get my priorities straight?

I pray that the Lord teaches me His Prayer once again so it becomes fresh in my heart and soul.  I pray that He'd give me the light of His understanding to truly comprehend the words that He asks us to pray.  I pray that when I say the Lord's Prayer, I hear Jesus' voice saying to me:

7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one. Matthew 6: 7-13

May I never dismiss the Lord's Prayer and its power.  May I treat it with the utmost respect and lift up every word to Heaven for every utterance contains the very divine essence of Him which first spoke it unto us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.