Saturday, March 18, 2023

Who Wants to Eat an Elephant?

Often, whenever I'm talking to anyone who is having a particularly rough time, I notice I tend to say things like, "try to take it just one day at a time."  However, when I think about it, I don't know how well I follow my own advice.  How about you? Do you find it difficult to live one day at a time?  How hard it is to eat that elephant?  Yeah...remember the elephant?  I don't know who ever came up with that saying about, "how do you eat an elephant?"  I mean, who'd want to eat an elephant in the first place?  I always found that adage kind of gross, but the truth that it encompasses makes up for it, I think.

Dan and I were talking about this hard-to-live-by general rule and we both agreed (at least I think we did) that it is very difficult, indeed.  We tend to want to project to the future, which usually causes a great deal of tension, added stress and unnecessary worries.  The future is not ours.  It was never meant to be.  All we have is the now.  I know we can't just throw caution to the wind and adopt a 100% YOLO lifestyle. But the opposite is not fitting either. 

I believe the answer is trust.  The One who promised is trustworthy, and He said:

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life...Matthew 6: 25a

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? Matthew 6: 27

...do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6: 34

My devotional spoke about this today also.  I liked it so much that I will reproduce it here:

Trust Me one day at a time. This keeps you close to Me, responsive to My will. Trust is not a natural response, especially for those who have been deeply wounded. My Spirit within you is your resident Tutor, helping you in this supernatural endeavor. Yield to His gentle touch; be sensitive to His prompting.
Exert your will to trust Me in all circumstances. Don't let your need to understand distract you from My Presence. I will equip you to get through this day victoriously, as you live in deep dependence on Me. Tomorrow is busy worrying about itself; don't get tangled up in its worry-webs. Trust Me one day at a time. (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

Like Jesus said, "seek first his kingdom and his righteousness," (Matthew 6: 33a) and He'll take care of the rest.  Let's just keep taking one bite at a time, right?...and that elephant would be gone before we know it. 

Thank You Lord for your promises.  We know they are true.  We rest in Your arms.  We trust Your plan for us.  May Your will be done. In Jesus' Precious Name.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.