Saturday, March 25, 2023

The Humanity of Jesus

 I have to admit that I don't think about Jesus, the man much.  He is always in my mind as my Lord and Savior, but I don't stop to meditate on Him as a human being as much as I probably should.  Not considering this very important truth about Jesus, though, causes me to miss out on His fullness and greatness.  It is a blessing, then, that there are passages of Scripture that move us to see His humanity.

Today, I ran into this moment in Luke chapter 12 that did just that for me: it pointed out the man,

13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” Luke 12: 13-14

Honestly, Jesus' response here on verse 14 makes me smile.  It makes me chuckle...I'm not sure why, but I think it is because, in a way, I can identify with it.  I can actually see me and hear me saying something like that.  "Why do you come to me with this? What am I? The President? Your Mom? Why are you asking me?"  I've also been known to say slightly different takes on it...a different perspective such as, "Who made you the judge?"  or  "You're not the boss of me!"

I know...not quite the same...but somehow the tone is similar...a bit...

In my opinion, Jesus expresses frustration in His reply...a very human and common reaction to foolishness.  And that's what we're dealing with here, isn't' it?  The foolishness of greed.  How many times can Jesus preach, teach and demonstrate with His own lifestyle that seeking the material is completely counter productive idiocy...and yet, we continue to strive for it to the point of fighting and creating division among our own flesh and blood. 

I don't know about you, but I can almost hear Jesus sigh at the end of verse 14...a sigh that seems to show understanding and compassion before He continues,

15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”

And He is back in His role of Divine Teacher and Guide.  The authority of His voice is perceived by the tone of the statements in verse 15.  A warning replaces the frustration of the previous lines.  He remembers how capricious our will is and He brings us back on track with His admonition.  That's the moment when His humanity gives way to His divinity.  And that's when the blessing of His nature becomes evident. And that's also when our similarities end, because I get too hung up on my frustration, and forget to take the next step.

Praise the Lord that He is fully human and fully God, so He is able to realize that we need Him to be both.  In the Precious Name Above All Names: Jesus Our Redeemer and Friend, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.