Monday, March 20, 2023

Light Yoke

 I love my job, but I'm exhausted.  Even though we just had spring break and I was able to relax a bit, being back to work has worn me out.  I think it's because I keep stressing out about two of my classes and also because I'm still doing some administrative job that I truly dislike...anyway...I'm just plain tired.  It was great to have Pastor Dan give a sermon regarding being weary yesterday at church.  His first point was just spot on for me:  "Know that Jesus came to strengthen you when you are weary." What a great reminder.

Weary is defined in the dictionary as feeling or showing tiredness, especially as a result of excessive exertion or lack of sleep.  The lack of sleep really rings a bell in my life.  I don't know why, but sometimes I just can't sleep.  My mind keeps racing and my thoughts keep me up at night.  I pray the Lord helps me sleep...but often the minutes become hours and before I know it, I have to get up.  Of course, sometimes I do fall asleep, but it is shortly before the alarm rings.  It feels like I just blinked and it's time to roll out of bed...and the vicious cycle of tiredness continues.

This is why it is such a wonderful thing to hear the good news that Jesus is the Great Help for the weary...for the exhausted...for the worn out...for the drained...for the depleted... for the dog tired...It is wonderful when you have someone bring back Matthew 11: 28-30:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Notice that Jesus is not telling us that we will be free from carrying our yoke, though...we will still have to carry it.  He is not going to magically take away my need to go to work just because I come to Him for help.  What He is saying is that we need to exchange the world's yoke for His.  We need to leave behind the things of this world that weigh us down and take up the things of His Kingdom so we can be relieved from unbearable burdens that don't take us anywhere but to a place of constant weariness, and instead, embrace Him and His will, which when performed according to His plan, it is light and allows us to find rest and contentment.  

A light yoke is an oxymoron if reasoned through the logic of this world.  However, when we see it through the reasoning of God's Kingdom where the first are last and the last are first, a light yoke is the perfect example of balance and abundance.

I pray I can keep these things in mind so as I walk through the weeks leading to the end of the semester, I can be renewed and refreshed when I drop the heavy load this world places on my shoulders and pick up Jesus' light yoke.  May we be strengthened by Him who came for that purpose.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.