Friday, March 17, 2023

We Sing for Him!

 What did you ever answer to the question, "what super power would you like to have?" I never knew how to answer that question.  The only thing that always came to mind was: "I want to be able to sing really well!"  Yeah...I know...that's not what the question meant.  But I always daydreamed about singing.  I thought it would be so totally rad to be the lead singer of a band or sing in a choir or be a backup singer...or just being able to sing in the shower and sound better than the pipes...sigh...

Anyway, I've been made aware of the fact that I am musically challenged, and I've made some sort of peace with it. But I still wish I could sing...sigh... It is particularly difficult at church, though, because I really, really love the songs we sing.  I love both, contemporary and hymns, but I just can't follow.  I can't find the right pitch.  I'm monotone.  I have no range.  If I ever were to sing in a choir, I would most likely be placed to sing among the men.  Therefore, singing is a bit problematic for me.  Often I worship by just reading the lyrics.  Hymns are especially troublesome.  I'm surrounded by people who can sing beautifully...so I just quietly read.  I refuse to subject anyone to my jarring and irritating, tuneless and pathetic attempts at singing.

OK...yeah...

Today, though, as I make my way through the Book of Revelations - talking about faulty attempts - I was reminded of something that filled me with joy: there will be singing in Heaven, lots of it! And it won't be just angels, important people, heavenly creatures and rock stars the only ones singing.  I will get to sing too!  

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!” Revelations 5: 13

This passage doesn't say only those who made it to honors choir get to sing.  I believe what it says here means everyone, including me, no audition required.  It doesn't say anything about gorgeous voices only, pitch-imperfect need not apply.  I think I will be singing the new song too, and so will you!  The One who sits  on the throne and the Lamb just want our praise.  That's the only requirement.  There's no high-expectation levels or ranking on the performance...the only expectation is that we do it.  And how can we not!?

While I won't be the lead singer of any band ever here on earth, my dream will become true one day, and I will sing as if no-one else was listening except the One I sing for.  

May the Lamb who is worthy of all our worship and praise help us realize He wants us just like we are, so we may sing with confidence because we sing for Him!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.