Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Wisdom

 As a teacher, I guess I'm in the "knowledge business," right?  I'm supposed to be imparting valuable knowledge and information to my students, which would be relevant to their success as future professionals.  I often wonder, however, how valuable the knowledge I'm sharing with them really is if they don't know or learn how to apply it.  Young learners have a hard time making connections between things.  They don't stop long enough to reflect on how learning Spanish could be really beneficial to them in this country.  They are in a hurry to get to where they want to go and if they feel they are told to do things that they don't perceive as important, they are quick to dismiss them.  This is why for a few years now, rather than just going through the language lessons to help them become more proficient in Spanish, I have tried to incorporate exercises, situations and comments that are designed to show and demonstrate the relevance of what they are learning.  I try to make the language lessons be applicable to potential, real life scenarios that they may encounter so knowledge of Spanish clicks as something key to help them fulfill their professional goals.  

I believe that being able to find the application in things requires wisdom.  Therefore, I hope by incorporating these notions into my lessons, I'm actually guiding my students through the road that leads to wisdom, which according to some dictionaries, could be defined as the ability to have the necessary insight to apply knowledge effectively.  

We are supposed to seek and ask for wisdom.  But, what is the Biblical definition of wisdom? In many verses we see it defined as "the fear of the Lord." (Job 28: 28, Psalm 111: 10, Proverbs 1: 7, Proverbs 9: 10, Micah 6: 9)

We believe that "fear" in these instances points to reverence and respect, more than fright.  I mean, there is an element of "fright" in the concept of "fear" even in this sense.  After all, we tend to respect and revere because we know the object of such devotion is powerful and worthy of being feared.  The idea of fear also points to being more aware and conscious of what we do.  It sharpens our senses and makes us be in full attention mode.  I believe all those actions are required in wisdom.  That might be why Revelation 13: 18 represents such a sobering warning:  This calls for wisdom.

There is never such an urgent and grave comment, seeing "this calls for wisdom" in the midst of the book of Revelation while talking about encountering the second beast in all its evil presence is utterly profound and it makes my soul tremble.  That is the moment when we are to be able to not just recall everything we know, but implement it so we are not overcome by the enemies who rise against us.  That is the moment to fear, revere and respect Our Great and Almighty Lord who is the Only One who can defeat and does defeat all the beasts and dragons that may think they can get away with their evil-spreading actions.  That is the moment to hang on to His Hand and don't be swayed by the enemy's schemes.  Without wisdom...we succumb.  But He won't let us, because He has been preparing us for this all along by teaching us and granting us wisdom.

I'm sure whatever path to wisdom I might or might not be able to open up for my students can't be compared with the holiness of the mission of wisdom we are supposed to take on, but I pray that the lessons I learn as I meditate on it help me be wise when the moment comes.  In the Precious Name above All Names, and upon which every knee will bow.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.