Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Know Who Holds My Future Too!


1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not understood it. John 1: 1-5

As we begin the Easter season, I would like to “be still and know” that the Emmanuel, God with us, remains with us still.  It is so easy to believe the lies of the enemy and become disheartened thinking that the whole world around us has turned their back on the Lord.  It is so easy to fall into the trap of the master of deception and believe that all is lost.  It is so easy to lose focus and let the truth turn blurry.  It is so easy to despair as we see the godlessness that surrounds us.  

This is not a new phenomenon, however.  Since the beginning of Christianity, believers have faced anxiety and isolation.  Otherwise, the Holy Spirit would not have had to inspire the Apostle John to write about how the Light entered into the world but the world rejected it, and misunderstood it.  This objection to the Light was true in John’s time and it is true in our world today as well.  

We have only to turn on the TV to realize how the world rejects and misunderstands our Lord.  Any show can illustrate this point; but today I was reminded of John 1: 1-5 when I heard about the reactions to a statement given by Tim Tebow at a recent ESPN press conference.  Tebow, who was traded to the NY Jets as a back up quarterback, which comes as a demotion after being the starting QB at the Denver Broncos, said:

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future. That's something that has always given me peace and comfort. That's why I don't have to worry about the future. I can just worry about today and worry about becoming better as a football player and a person.''

As a Christian, I rejoice at how a 24 year old man in a public venue openly speaks about his faith in the One and Only God.  The secular world, however, completely misinterprets this statement and criticizes Tebow’s words as evidence of what they call, “a lack of confidence.”  

Lack of confidence?  Are you kidding me?!  In my opinion, Tebow’s words express exactly the opposite.  He is 100% confident.  He knows who the source of his strength is and he taps into His power.  He knows who designed his days and he trusts Him.  Rather than showing misplaced confidence which breeds arrogance; this young man acknowledges that it is Providence who marks his destiny and he humbly accepts it as truth.

After I meditated on this incident, I decided that I need to shift my focus every time I hear disconcerting things in the media.  I need to concentrate on the light and not be afraid of the darkness.  Instead of feeling downcast because of the reaction of the secular world, I rejoice for in young men like Tim Tebow I see what the future could hold if we stay in Him who holds and sustains us.  Rather than believing the lie that it is possible to “kill” God; I remember that, regardless of what may happen here on earth:  

The LORD has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all. (Psalm 103: 19)



I uphold this truth: that, even though our current society is under the influence of the powers and principalities of darkness and it doesn’t recognize, receive or understand the Light, Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. John 1: 12-13
I also remember the comforting lyrics of the old hymn, and sing:

I don’t know about tomorrow;
It may bring me poverty.
But the one who feeds the sparrow,
Is the one who stands by me.
And the path that is my portion
May be through the flame or flood;
But His presence goes before me
And I’m covered with His blood.

Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

1 comment:

  1. This is something to think about and we must all hold on the the promises and the truth that God gave us to survive in this secular world because they don't see pass what they do as well as they think about themselves before being humble in any given situation

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.