Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Puppy Love

This is the first picture we ever saw of Link and the one that made us fall in love with him.


Well, here’s my “I got a dog” post. The thing is that, yes, about one month and a half ago, we got us a dog for our family. His name is Link…’cause he is the missing link…get it? After 20 years of marriage and 2 kids, Link is our very first pet EVER…and in my book, that’s a big deal. Also, Link is MY very first pet EVER…and after having spent a lifetime afraid of dogs…that is a REALLY big deal in my book.

Growing up in Panama, my Dad had dogs. He loved German Shepherds so he had several over the course of my childhood and adolescence. It was kind of funny. They were his dogs. Nobody else really cared about them. I, for once, was terrified of all of them. He had, I think, four…not all at the same time, though. He’ll have one, and then when that one died, he’ll get another one. But they were his. He was the one who took care of them while they lived, and he was the one who mourned each of them when they passed away.

My Dad was a traditional man who loved continuity and stability. This trade was reflected in his relationship with his dogs. You see, in Spanish German Shepherd is “Pastor Alemán.” So guess what my Dad named all of his puppies…yes, he named them all Pastor. Everyone made fun of him for his apparent lack of creativity. But my Dad didn’t care.

At any rate, long story short, all those Pastor dogs were, not unlike my Dad, rather intimidating. They seemed more like wolves to me. I never EVER got near them. There were parts of our back patio I never went into. The last two, however, lived in a pen my Dad built in the backyard so I wouldn’t feel like a prisoner in my own house.

Ever since, I have not been one to get friendly with dogs…until now, that is!

In the weeks Link has been with us, I have made light-years of progress in my relationship with our four-legged-furry-pal. From cleaning “accidents” to taking him to the Vet, to caring for him in his convalescence after surgery (yes, we … you know…) all the way to sneaking “goodies” in his dish…I am feeling almost like a pro. He is so cute and sweet. I can't help but enjoy him. He is a very distant cry from my Dad’s Pastores, but I think he would be surprised and proud of me if he could see me now.

Link was a stray dog that was found by a loving family in Ohio who couldn’t keep him. They wanted to find someone who would love him…and God brought him to us. I feel humbled and honored that He thinks we can faithfully care for His little creature. Like our children, God has entrusted us with this tiny being, and as such we are responsible. We have adopted Link. And I don’t know what the lesson is in all these…all I know is that when I hear my sons’ laughter as they play with him, my joy is complete!



In this Christmas Season, I want to say that I am thankful for the gift that Link is…he has brought a special kind of joy to our home…he is the missing Link for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.