Monday, August 17, 2015



After four weeks out of town and out of the country on vacation I returned home to witness the hustle and bustle typical of the week before the semester begins. The roads have been patched up and the university crew is making everything ready to welcome students back to campus once again. And while football players, marching band, track team all run around trying to get a head start… I can’t help but to look back at the almost gone summer days and wonder if I redeemed the time…

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. This is why it is said:

“Wake up, sleeper,

rise from the dead,

and Christ will shine on you.”

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5: 8-20


This summer, I praised the Lord for the lazy days, the traveling, the stress-free-times relaxing and being lulled by the sound of the waves. I praise Him for the means to go to exciting places, for the joy in my children’s faces and for the company of those I love the most. But when I think of whether I was “light in my world,” or if I pursuit goodness, righteousness and truth…I have to say, I’m not so sure.

I’m afraid that some of the “fruitless deeds of darkness” led me to unwise paths and kept me from waking up. The evil days surrounded me as pride took the best of me at times. I argued, plotted and sought my own comfort and agenda above seeking Him first and loving my neighbors.

I didn’t go to church, remained in His Word or spoke to others with psalms, hymns and songs. I was sometimes harsh, impatient, selfish and unloving…

I didn’t get drunk neither was led into debauchery, but I did not “make the most of every opportunity” …

However, I do give Him thanks for everything in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ! He is the Author of everything I am, and He is really, the Only One who can truly, truly redeem the time.

Therefore, since He designed my days and promised to remain with me wherever I am and in whatever state I may find myself; I believe He extends His grace to those who belong to Him, even when we don’t completely understand what His good and perfect will for our time is.

As the coolness of autumn begins to fall on our days, I pray I can refocus and find balance in my routine again. I pray that summer’s leisure keeps me refreshed and that I can appreciate the purpose of the experiences of the past weeks for the shaping of the days ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.