Saturday, July 2, 2016

Discipline Your Thoughts!



Today in my devotional greeted me with this:

“Discipline your thoughts to trust Me as I work My ways in your life. Pray about everything, then leave outcomes up to me. Do not fear My will, for through it I accomplish what is best for you.”

These words could not have been more appropriate for me at this time. The whole thing about disciplining my thoughts has always been a huge struggle for me. I try to control them but they seem to always break free from my feeble attempts at reining them in. My thoughts take over and my heart begins to tremble with visions of worse-case-scenarios and nightmarish situations that entrap me into a pit of fear and hopelessness.

I know…over-dramatic…but it sure feels this way when I´m under the influence of my out-of-control mind and negativism.

Sigh…

I pray the Holy Spirit teaches me how to discipline my thoughts and re-direct my eyesight to the One I can Trust. I pray that the Holy Spirit would open my eyes to the truth of God´s perfect plan for my life and how I must not fear it. I pray I may soon accept the fact that the outcome is in God´s hands, therefore, I should just sit back and relax as I pray and let go.

Yesterday, Dan and I were discussing his performance in a very important phone call he had just finished, and very uncharacteristically I said: “well, if it is God´s will, we know it´s going to happen no matter what.” And he replied: “Thankfully! What a relief to know that we can´t mess it up, huh?!” As I thought more about Dan´s reply, I knew there was a message in there from God to me. He seemed to tell me…once again: “Remember that, child…the outcome is out of your hands, so don´t worry!!! In the meantime, concentrate on my words: Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (Colossians 3: 2)”

The good news is that even when things seem scary, out of control, insane or just plain confusing, we know who wins in the end. We know how the story ends. It doesn´t end with the things of this world going right or wrong. Life is much bigger than the tribulations of this realm…it extends beyond our physical surroundings into a place with no more tears, no more suffering and no more fear. Jesus is Victorious and so are we!

So let´s discipline them thoughts and waste not another minute paralyzed by fright. Let us enjoy the freedom that Christ brought to us through His death and resurrection and keep our eyes fixed on Him. Let´s trust that His designs for us will all fall into place as He walks with us to the place where we will finally see Him face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.