Monday, July 11, 2016

When I´m Afraid, I Put My Trust in You



The enemy is constantly prowling, ready to pounce and attack. He knows our weaknesses and he is always looking at the exact and perfect time to make his move. The second we lower our guard, he is there, positioned to grab a foothold. The moment we get distracted he jumps. The minute we lose sight of the truth, he covers our head with a veil of lies.

We all have buttons that the enemy knows well how and when to push. Mine all revolve around fear and anxiety. These buttons are triggered mainly by worries about my health and the health of my loved ones. Even when I don´t have anything to worry about, I worry. I can´t stand it. I have prayed for years that God will change me, that He will free me from my fearful nature. I am so ready for God to take this character flaw away from me…but it is still very much there…and I´m not sure why.

However, when I think about it, I realize that this weakness, this thorn in my flesh, is there precisely to remind me that I am not a finished work. It is what keeps me humble. It is what keeps me aware of my total dependence on His power, mercy and goodness. It is what keeps me close to Him.

When fear grabs a hold of my mind I realize I have been looking away from His face, and I am reminded of the need to turn my eyes toward Christ. When the enemy pokes me with worry, I am reminded that the Only One who can bring me peace is the One who is peace Himself. The only one who delivers me from the evil one is the One who has already defeated him and stands victorious at the right hand of the Father.

Today, as I feel the flaming arrows of the chief deceiver, I pray:

Be merciful to me, my God,
for my enemies are in hot pursuit;
all day long they press their attack.

My adversaries pursue me all day long;
in their pride many are attacking me.

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise—
in God I trust and am not afraid.

What can mere mortals do to me? Psalm 56: 1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.