Thursday, March 1, 2018

Broken


I come broken to be mended
I come wounded to be healed
I come desperate to be rescued
I come empty to be filled
I come guilty to be pardoned
By the blood of Christ the Lamb
And I'm welcomed with open arms
Praise God, just as I am. (Travis Cottrell lyrics to Just as I am)

I cannot say it enough times:  I LOVE THIS CHORUS.  These are the, I believed, truly inspired words that Christian singer/worship leader, Travis Cottrell added onto his version of the beloved Hymn, "Just as I am."  We sang it at church last Sunday as a tribute to the Preacher Champion of the USA, the late Pastor Billy Graham.  This hymn is really powerful, but when the chorus comes up, I just can't keep it together.  I feel as if those are the very own words that pour out of my brokenness onto the feet of Christ.

Today, I'm reminded of these chorus...I'm not really sure why?  But as I was pondering some readings about trusting the Almighty Hand of God in our lives, and submitting to His plans, for they are good, all the time...this chorus popped into my mind.

The truth is, I am broken.  I am broken into a million pieces.  I can see them...there...on the hard, cold floor.  I can see the pieces of what is inside of me, which I never wanted to see.  I can see the things I've kept hidden, but have inevitably poked through my skin, tearing up my flesh, and shattering my bones.  There's my selfishness, scattered all over, mixing in with the countless and pervasive particles of my pride.  I see my unbelief and my controlling nature.  I see stress and love of the world.  I see insecurities and self-loathing.  My unforgiveness and sense of superiority, I see there, staring back at me.  I see worry and fear...

Sigh...

I am broken.  There is no doubt about it.  But I believe, I am supposed to be broken.  I'm not supposed to have it all together.  Whom am I to even begin to remotely think it is possible for me to have all the answers, and have it all figured it out? I mean, really?  In my arrogance, I have believed the lie that if I don't have all the Ts crossed and the Is dotted, I'm a failure!  I have believed the enemy's lie that says: if you are broken, you are worthless.

I am broken.  Therefore, I need a Mender.  I am broken, that means, I need My Savior.  I am broken, thus, I need Jesus to take me into His arms.  And the glorious truth is, that not only does He welcome me/us with open arms, but He pursues me/us until we give into Him and become the sacrifice, the living sacrifice we are supposed to be.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51: 17

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3: 23

So, instead of pretending we've all put together on our own, as we believe the lies that tell us if we don't we are less...let us embrace our brokenness, because that is what keeps us connected to the source of all life and light: Jesus the Christ!

Let us come to Him with all of our baggage.  Let us come to Him and allow Him to gather the pieces that are scattered all over the floor.  Let us come to Him, just as we are...He is the Only One who can truly mend us...by His Precious Blood, and accepts us, just as we are, Praise God, just as I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.