Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Let's Talk About It

Today, as I was running errands, on a whim, I switched from my Christian music station to one of the other Christian stations that broadcast shows.  At the one I landed, I heard Pastor Rick Warren wrapping up his Daily Hope programI've never really listened to him much, but he was saying some powerful stuff about breaking free, especially from abuse, but from anything that snares us, really.

The phrase that became tattooed into my brain was this: 

"Revealing your feelings is the beginning of healing."

I keep thinking about this statement.  We are not supposed to allow our emotions to get out of control, aren't we? Dylan always teases me saying that I have too many feelings.  And as we know, feelings could be deceiving.  So, I better practice some disciplines that help me keep them all in good check, right?  But, is that the same as keeping them secret?  Is remaining in control and not allowing emotions to take over my mind and actions the same as keeping them bottled up?

According to Pastor Rick Warren, absolutely not!

The fear and anxiety that the issues we are dealing with bring to our souls need to be expressed so they can begin to dissipate.  The thing is that often, we are too ashamed of the way we feel to be open about it, and talk about it even with trusted friends and counselors.  As a matter of fact, there is a statistic that says that Christians are twice less likely to go to counseling than non-christians.  I believe such a statistic is scary.  Why aren't Christians seeking much needed professional counseling?  I guess the reasons could be varied and truly complex; but I think that often, as Christians, we refuse/reject the idea of professional counseling due to shame.  We feel guilty that we cannot handle our issues on our own...after all, aren't we supposed to have faith that we can do all things in Christ?  Then, we don't need anybody else...if we do...doesn't that mean that our relationship with Jesus is faulty?  Isn't that an indication of lack of faith?

All I know is that in my personal case, even though I might be a bit embarrassed by the way I feel sometimes, if I don't talk about it, I burst!

Of course, praying and talking to Jesus about the commotion I carry inside is my life-line!  However,  I believe He has surrounded me with a great "cloud of witnesses" who walk with me along this valley of tears and shadows so we can offer support to one-another.  He has provided this help.  Why won't we employ it?  Why reject it?  I believe, finding a trusted friend or someone who is willing to listen to the venting/ranting/expressing of my feelings is truly important for my sanity.  For me, writing about it in this outlet is another way the Lord in His Mercy has made available to me.  But so are the many Christian counselors out there who are trained in how to help us when we are at our wit's end.  I don't think it shows weakness to seek help.  I believe it shows the discernment and the strength both proceeding from the Holy Spirit in our midst.

I believe that keeping our feelings of fear, anxiety, pain, guilt, shame, weakness, etc. inside, may ultimately cause those feelings to overpower and control us.  I think not talking about them aloud is a way in which they keep us shackled and enslaved.  I truly agree with Pastor Rick Warren when he says that the revealing of our feelings is the beginning of healing, indeed!  I trust that Our Loving Father in Heaven has made provisions for His children to help each other as we carry our burdens in our daily walk.  After all, He commanded us to sharpen one another, and to... 

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12: 10

Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6: 2

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 
 Philippians 2: 4

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7: 12


There is no shame in seeking help.  Would we think it's shameful for a cancer patient to go for treatment?  Why then, would we perceive reaching out when the issue has to do with our mind and emotions as a less than dignified action?

It is hard, because it involves the things that we keep hidden in our heart.  But it is necessary to open the gates not only to release all those toxic feelings, but to allow the healing waters of Christ to penetrate and cleanse us from the inside out.

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.