Friday, June 8, 2018

No Worries

"Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is Big Enough, Powerful Enough or Loving Enough to take care of what's happening in our lives."  Francis Chan

I read this quote by Francis Chan a few days ago and it has been bouncing around between the walls of my mind ever since.  It is just the perfect thing for me to hear...being the Chair of the Worry-Wart Board of Directors, that is...

I need to breathe in the words, and assimilate them into my blood so they become part of who I am...cleansing my old-self, and making me new once and for all.  I need to believe and accept this truth and doubt no more.  But, I find that it is easier said than done.  Worry persists and my disappointment with my inability to stop it, increases every time I realize I failed to stayed calm.

Sigh...

Trusting in the All-Powerful, All-Loving God that I call Father is not a chore to check off a legalistic to-do list.  Surrendering to My Lord comes after the constant submission to His will and the intentional desire to seek Him first as I train my sight to remain on His Face rather than on the storm, the winds or the waves of my life.  The perfect peace that comes with complete surrender is not accomplished in one instant, but in a lifetime of walking hand-in-hand with Christ, through the valleys and the mountains.

It is useless to punish myself for every time I fail to avoid worry.  The sense of guilt I feel in my soul only accomplishes a victory for the enemy who revels in my sense of failure.  That is exactly what he wants, that we feel like a failure so we hide from God and put distance between us, when what we need is entirely the opposite. 

When I worry, instead of blaming my weakness, I should be even more intentional about expressing my dependence on Jesus, for in my weakness He is strong! (2 Corinthians 12: 9)

When I worry, instead, I must boldly declare that My God IS Big Enough, Powerful Enough and Loving Enough to take care of me, in spite of my worry...in spite of my inadequacy... in spite of my weakness.

May the Holy Spirit direct our thoughts so we can surrender our worries to Him, the Only One who can truly make them go away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.