Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Jesus Speaks to Women: It's a Matter of Faith


15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.” John 4: 15

Have you ever missed the truth because you are stock on the facts?  

What I mean is, in my life, there is a lot that I miss from the spiritual realm because I am too focused on the material.  My eyes haven't yet learned to truly see through the spiritual lense of faith, because I always have on the glasses of this world.

2 Corinthians 5: 7 tells us: "For we walk by faith, not by sight." What does that mean?  It means, that we are supposed to to fix our eyes on what is unseen, not on what is seen! For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Corinthians 4: 18) But often, we find that difficult because our faith is weak...and a weak faith does not allow us to see beyond our circumstances and beyond the material reality of the world around us.

The Samaritan woman wanted that water so she didn't have to come to the well anymore.  She wanted to have her material need (thirst) eternally satisfied.  Besides, there were many reasons she didn't want to have to come to the well on a daily basis ever again: all the gossips in town.  Therefore, her focus on the world wasn't allowing her to really see...to really understand that the Water that she was being offered by this Holy Man in front of her was not from this world...it wasn't a liquid that she could put in a jar...it was Himself! The Living Water was Jesus and non other! And this Water satisfies a different kind of thirst.  It quenches the thirst of the soul to find a place of safety where to belong.

I am the Samaritan woman, clamoring for Jesus to "give me this water!" but still with my sight fixed on my situations, on my physical thirst, rather than on my spiritual emptiness.  I forget that I need to fill up the jars of my soul, and forget about the water bottles in my refrigerator.  The dryness, the true desert is the one in my heart, which longs for a fulfilled life in this world, neglecting the eternity that awaits me after all that surrounds me has passed away. 

I pray the Holy Spirit awakens my faith so I can finally see...so I can finally understand the meaning of the concept, which is simply the "confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11: 1


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.