Thursday, September 12, 2019

The Morning Song


22 Because of the LORD’s loving devotion we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning; great is Your Faithfulness!24“The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in Him.” Lamentations 3: 22-24

Taking my dog out in the morning has become one of my favorite daily routines for the last year or so.  From the moment I open the front door, I breathe in the air of the new day and hope is renewed!  Especially when the weather is good, but even if it is rainy or snowy, I find great comfort in being outside early in the morning when life is still quiet and only nature is active.  It's my time to thank God for another day and to let my heart fill with the oxygen of the joy that the morning brings. 

I look up and seek the hues painted by the rising sun; and, even when the clouds threaten to mask it, I know the truth: the sky is always blue.

In the back and forth of my dog's curious pacing, my mind has time to wander to spaces of peace as these early-morning experiences bring a song to my soul.  It is the song is of God's love and faithfulness.  It is the song of gratefulness.  It is the song of humble acceptance of His mercies and of His compassions that never fail for they are, indeed new every morning!

In this simple routine, the Holy Spirit guides me.  In these brief encounters with nature, I'm able to witness the greatness of Our Lord.  In the company of my furry friend, I venture outside regardless of the weather and am able to have precious moments in harmony with My Heavenly Father.  In the quiet of the morning, I hear His whisperings saying: The Lord is my portion and I will hope in Him!

I remember not long ago, taking the dog out with the first lights of the day used to be a dreaded chore that I happily surrendered to whoever else would happen to pass by.  The problem was, nobody else was silly enough to venture downstairs that early (they knew they'd get handed the leash before their feet touched the last step on the stairs).  Now, everyone knows that's my job, and that I do it gladly.  Even the dog refuses to go out with any other than me.  The chore has become a joy, and for that I'm blessed.  The chore has brought a song, and for that I rejoice!

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Great is Thy Faithfulness, Lord onto me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.