Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Thanksgiving Week - Day 4

My Mom did not know how to cook.  The only things I ever remember her making were fried eggs, instant soup, toast and coffee.  She never cooked a full meal or even one dish of anything in her life. 

I grew up not knowing how to cook either.  It wasn't until I married an American man and moved to the US for good (the land where Mom is the maid), that I realized the importance of learning the way around the kitchen.  

I give credit to Dan...he had to put up with my experimenting for many years.  Poor thing...my learning curve was not too bad, but I know he endured many hardly-edible meals during the first seasons of our marriage.

Today, as I knocked on Dylan's door at 8am to get the Thanksgiving feast under way, I thought about the long road I've traveled.  

For a long time now, I have been cooking a full Thanksgiving meal for us 4 the Wednesday before, so we could have leftovers (it's been a while since we have had leftovers at the Dieter Family's Thanksgiving Dinner).  From Turkey to sweet potato pie and everything in between, I spend the day immersed in the kitchen, amidst savory spices and the aroma of deliciousness. And, since Dylan has an inclination for cooking, he often helps.  Today, he was amazing.  He stuck with me the entire time...except for the last dish...I noticed he was losing it, so I released him.  But, side by side, Dylan and I prepared a bountiful buffet that I hope will last for the next few days.

As I looked at my apron clad, teenage boy, I realized that was the blessing I wanted to highlight today.

At lunch time, we sat and enjoyed the feast...and then, Dylan and I took a well-deserved nap.  As I was falling asleep, I thought about my Mom, and wondered if she ever realized how much she missed out by never having had the chance of working in the kitchen with her children.  My guess is that she didn't, since that was just not something that was done back then in the environment where she lived.  But, I sure am glad I've had the opportunity to experience it. These are the memories that go into my treasure box, which I hope to hold dear and near my heart forever.

That's why today, I want to lift up thanks to the Lord Almighty for precious moments like cooking Thanksgiving Dinner with my son.  May God give us many more years when we get to do this again and again.  In the Precious Name of Jesus.  Amen!

Dylan mixing the Turkey rub, wearing an apron Rosa made for me many years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.