Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Jesus Speaks to Women: Luke 1

29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 
Luke 1: 29

Have you ever felt hesitant, nervous or even afraid when someone comes to you with flattering words?  Have you ever wonder what they might want from you?  I mean, nobody just goes around saying nice things to people just because, right?  Really, how many people would come to you and say something in the line of:  "Greetings! You who are highly favored!"  At least, that doesn't happen to me often...or at all... Therefore, when something remotely like that occurs to me, I get a bit defensive... and the old, "okay, what do you want?" shoots right out of my eyes.

Why is that?

Perhaps because we are not used to it.  But, why aren't we used to it?  Maybe, because we are not in the habit of saying it to others either...so...when someone, out of the blue, meets us with that kind of greeting, we find it weird.  But, why are we NOT in the habit of giving intense greetings?  

This is the season of giving, right?  So we give.  If we have a little something, we willingly, graciously and merrily give our resources away as much as we can.  We generously open our wallets and drop money on the red kettles, in the Christmas offering envelopes, in the end-of-the-year donation appeals from our favorite charity, radio ministry or missionary worker.  But when it comes to our words...we often disperse them very thinly.  We skimp on them, particularly on the good ones, the ones that build up...at least I do...sigh...

Why aren't we more generous with our words?  Why aren't we more willing to offer words of encouragement, love, compassion, mercy, forgiveness, gratitude, exaltation to one another?

I don't know.

In my case, again, I don't want to sound trite or like a cliche.  I don't want other people to feel uncomfortable either.  I know, when people are nice to me and give me words of praise, I don't know what to do! So, I want to spare others from the embarrassment, or at least that's my cop out.  I'm insecure, so I don't want to look like a sap or like I'm trying to kiss someone's you know what...

At any rate, most of my reasons are purely selfish.  They have to do with me and the way I imagine others would perceive me.  I don't want people thinking, "o dear, here she comes...let's cross the street, I don't want to hear her...her words usually make me feel troubled."

The truth is, however, that we ARE to speak words of truth and of life to one another.  Life is too hard!  We are too alone.  We need each other.  And if brothers and sisters in Christ aren't speaking life among themselves, who would?!  

We are told to:
1 Thessalonians 5:11 “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”

Hebrews 3:13 “But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.”

Ephesians 4:29 “Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building up the one in need and bringing grace to those who listen.”

But, why if I'm not good.  I don't have any words of value to offer.  I'm too broken myself to be building someone else up.  Well, I read somewhere that God put broken people like you and me in this world to help broken people like you and me in this world.  We don't have to be eloquent or terribly wise.  We just have to show that we care.  We just have to show that we notice.  We just have to share with our actions and with our WORDS that we care and that we notice.  I know what they say, "actions speak louder than words," but silenced words leave a far greater void in someone's heart than lack of action...bricks and stones might build my home, but words of love build my soul!

Sometimes, we just need to hear the words...even if they trouble us.  Sometimes, we just need to SAY the words, even if they trouble others.

Dear Lord, I pray that The Holy Spirit will show us how to build each other up with our words.  In this world, there is much tribulation, but You have overcome it!  Help us be Your agents of encouragement and good cheer to those we encounter in our way, today. Amen!





No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.