Monday, December 24, 2018

Jesus Speaks to Women: Luke 1

“How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”

The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.  Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. For no word from God will ever fail.”

“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her. 
Luke 1: 34-38

We arrive at the moment when Mary finally gathers enough strength to utter some words...and, of course, those words reflect her astonishment at the whole scenario.  Some wonder why Mary wasn't scolded by Gabriel the way Zechariah was.  I don't pretend to know, but my guess is that when Zechariah replied to Gabriel's news with:  “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.” Luke 1: 18  his words implied a certain hint of doubt.  "How can I be sure of this?"  I need a satisfying explanation here.  I need to be convinced.  I need to be sure...I must not be taken as a fool...I need some proof...I need evidence...I need certainty...sigh...

Boy, have I been there?  I have God healing me, and I keep on questioning.  I have God providing, and I keep being afraid of scarcity.  I have God comforting me, and I keep feeling miserable.  How can I be sure the healing is real?  How can I be sure I am not alone? How can I be sure I will be taken care of?  How can I be sure I will be OK?  How can I be sure it will work out well?

I am not a Bible scholar or a theologian, but I sure recognize Zechariah's words as they have been my own many times...sigh...

Mary doesn't doubt.  She knows what Gabriel has said will happen.  She is just wondering, "how will it be?"  She is wondering about the methodology, the logistics if you will...she is a curious girl, right?  And God allowed room for her inquiry.  It was a valid question, after all.  So Gabriel proceeded to disclose the plan.  And, tucked into the announcement of her miraculous conception, was also a piece of news that will give Mary a moment of respite, "even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. For no word from God will ever fail.”  I see this information as God's mercy towards Mary.  He knew how difficult this would be for her, and how hard the days will be when people would find out about her pregnancy, so, for now, He offered her a moment to have peace, gather her thoughts and be with someone who would understand what she was going through without judging her.

At God's mercy and favor, Mary found no other way to respond than with utmost humility:“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.”   

Please, Lord, may you give us your strength, peace and clarity of mind to respond to You like Mary, with humility, trust and obedience rather than with doubt and worry when You ask what seems to be impossible from us or when the odds are insurmountable from our eyes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.