Friday, December 21, 2018

Jesus Speaks to Women: Luke 1

31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.” 
Luke 1: 31-33

Imagine being Mary and receiving the news that you will be the vehicle that will carry the One Who will alter the course of human history!  Imagine being Mary and receiving the news that will alter the course of your life...

Who would believe her?  Who would believe her when she'd say, "yes, I'm pregnant...but I've been faithful.  I'm still pure. I'm still a virgin.  This Child is of God!"  Would you believe her? or would you think she is just a young jewish girl who has been found out and decided to concoct a lie to safe her skin?

What would you have done if you were among the villagers?  Would you have gossiped once you found out about Mary's delicate condition?  Would you have shunned her?  Would you have supported her stoning?  Would you have been quick to judge her?  Would you have secretly rejoiced in her misfortune?  Would you have had compassion...mercy...humility?

I don't know what I would have done?  I know the rest of the story, so it is easy for me to think I would have understood and showed love.  But, had I been one of the women in town...I'm sure I would not have been much understanding.  I don't think I would have kept an open mind.  I don't think I would have had the humility to offer her a chance to explain and a chance to believe her.  I'm a trigger-happy judge.  I pronounce harsh opinions on people at the slightest slip.  But then, I ask for leniency when I'm the one tripping.  I don't know if I had believed Mary.  Most likely, I would have not.

I probably would not have taken the time to really look at Mary and see the glory of God shining through her.  I probably would not have had the patience to really listen to her words, long enough to realize they were Holy-Spirit inspired.  I would have probably missed the miracle because my head was too immersed in the things of this world.  

The Lord chose Mary to carry on this most special mission for Him, and He protected her from people like me...

I pray that, when my time to witness a miracle comes, I don't miss it because I don't know how to look at life through the eyes of faith.  Please, Dear Lord, enable us to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with You all of our days. (Micah 6: 8)  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.