Monday, December 31, 2018

A New Song for the New Year



46 And Mary said:

“My soul glorifies the Lord
47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49 for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful
55 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
just as he promised our ancestors.”

56 Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home. 
Luke 1: 46-56

Mary's words after Elizabeth's greeting, called Mary's Song, are very special to me.  My Mother used to say that these words were very powerful.  Of course they are, they are Scripture!  They were inspired words that young Mary recited moved by the miraculous events that had just happened in her life and by the impact of the Baby growing inside of her.  She might not have understood the immensity of it all, but she couldn't help being completely in awe of it...how could she not?  So the words flew out of her mouth like a divine song placed in her soul by the presence of God in her.

There is praise, remembrance and humility in this song. Mary praises and gives the highest glory to God as her heart rejoices in recalling what He has done for generation after generation, for Israel, but for her as well.  She humbly accepts the plan of God for her life as she magnifies the Mighty One for all the things He has done for her and for all who fear Him.

That's what I want to be like!  That's how I want to react when God challenges me with a life-turn that I don't fully understand.  I want to have a new song in my heart so instead of complaining and fearing, I could reply with singing and rejoicing!

The new year approaches with leaps and jumps...so...it's time for me to think of a word that will inspire my 2019.  I think about my 2018 word:  PEACE...and, although I still need His peace (I will never have enough of it...I don't think...) I would like to welcome the new year in a spirit of humility.  Like Mary, I want to be humble enough to surrender my plans to Him and accept what He gives me...even if it does't look like what I was imagining.  I want to be humble enough to acknowledge that He is in control, not me.  I want to be humble enough to be grateful for the blessings, even if they seem to be in disguise.  I want to be humble enough to receive His love, even if I don't think I deserve it.  I want to be humble enough to cherish His will...even when it differs from mine.

I want to be free from pride and arrogance in 2019.  I want to be humble in everything I do.

May the Holy Spirit speak to all of us this New Year's eve and guide us every day in 2019 so we can easily find our way...the way that He has designed for us to walk on with Him by our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.