Saturday, December 8, 2018

Jesus Speaks to Women: Matthew 28

1 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.
2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 
3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 
4 The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men. 
5 The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 
6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.
7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.” 
Matthew 28: 1-7

I have to admit:  I am a big superhero movie fan.  Yes, the fact that I have two boys has helped increase my appreciation of such genre.  However, I might say, it has been my tendency to be drawn to these types of stories what, perhaps, originally fueled my son's appetite for superhero-action films.  I just love a good and thrilling story with lots of excitement where heroes fight and lightning and earthquakes make villains tremble and become paralyzed with fear! I can say, I imagine myself in the middle of that type of action and wonder which superhero I would be!  I know...I know... where's the eye-rolling emoji, right?

The thing is, in each of the Marvel Universe movies (which is what we prefer in this household, btw) I can see a scene like the one related to us by Matthew in this passage above.  All the elements are there:  the tragedy of the seemingly hopeless death of the Greatest Superhero in the History of the world, followed by His faithful beloved sorrowful mourning...which is in turn, abruptly interrupted by the dramatic entrance of a Celestial Messenger with all the theatrics of having villains become like corpses, paralyzed by fear and blinded by the lightning and earth shattering landing of such a being.  I mean, I'm typing this, and my hands are shaking, I'm so excited!

Our Heavenly Father is the greatest story teller in the UNIVERSE! (Marvel, DC or otherwise, if you know what I mean?)  No earthly script writer even comes close to what God writes in His plan for His children.  The plot twists and storylines of the story boards that God designs for our lives are so immeasurably richer than anything man can come up with.  That's why they all, whether they know it or not, find their inspiration in real life...and in the real life written in the Sacred Word of God!

I love this passage.  I love how it records that it was the women, again, the Marys whom, though feeling hopeless, faithfully walked back to the tomb as soon as they were allowed after the Sabbath.  Their faithfulness and their willingness to continue to do their good work without growing weary was immensely rewarded by the stunning appearance of the angel of the Lord.  I love how the angel of the Lord didn't even bother talking to the guards.  They were like dead, anyway.  He addressed the women!  THE WOMEN!!!  You know how big that was?  Women couldn't even testify in court because their testimony was considered as relevant as anything a dog could say.  And this divine messenger charged the women with the task of acting as witnesses to the disciples. The women were the ones upon whom the glorious job to go spread the word about Jesus' resurrection fell!

WOW!  How's that for girl power, huh?

And just wait...see what happens next!

As the Greatest Superhero Story Ever Told, there is more...let's stay tuned for the sequel!  I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.