Wednesday, December 18, 2019

"El Niño Dios"

Nativity on Christmas morning
"El Niño Dios" is what we call Baby Jesus in Spanish.  Traditionally, He is the one that brings all the presents on Christmas day.  The only "Santa" references I ever had were from Christmas specials on the very limited TV channels we used to watch growing up in Panama.  The Flintstones´ was my favorite, and, though I have to admit I was a little confused with the idea of Santa, I loved the fantasy of it all.  The wonder of Christmas was alive and well in my heart as a young girl in the tropics!

The thing is, I like talking about "El Niño Dios" rather than Santa because at least, it places some kind of emphasis on the reason for the season.  Of course, my kids now laugh at the concept of a Baby Jesus carrying a big bag full of gifts.  I know...I think I confused them a bit...but, anyway...sigh...

My point is, I am trying to keep Christ in Christmas.  I know the overindulgence on gifts and shopping has blurred the whole thing, but I´m hoping that some of the crazy things I do, remind my kids, and me, that there would be no Christmas without Jesus.  So, another little tradition we´ve been doing since the boys are little is that, in accordance to my Mother´s rules, we don´t place "El Niño Dios" on the Nativity scene until Christmas morning.  But, we have added an extra detail: I hide "El Niño Dios" and then the boys have to look for Him.  The one who finds Him, gets to place Him on His righteous place in the stable, between the transfixed Mary and Joseph, and He gets to distribute the presents that magically appeared under the tree.

I was thinking this morning about this tradition, and how it is kind of like an illustration of intentionally looking for the blessings.  We know the blessings are here.  We just don´t know where.  Therefore, we need to get up and seek them. 

I think of me trying to decide on the right place to "hide" "El Niño Dios" so it is not too obvious, but not too hard to find either...lazy teenagers are hard to motivate...they want everything handed to them...so it´s important to always use opportunities to teach them the value of "getting up" and seeking...but, on the other hand, it´s important for them to realize that He is always here...right where we are...even if we can´t easily see Him...

I wonder if that is how God does it too.  After all, we are all "lazy teens" in one way or another.  Often we feel content just to wallow in self-pity, blaming everyone else and God for our misfortunes...guilty!  So, I wonder if He places our blessings somewhere in the vicinity of where we are, not too obvious, but tucked in enough that it forces us to get up to seek...to seek Him. 

The mysteries of Our Heavenly Father are great, indeed.  They make for an exciting life and a thrilling eternity!

As for now, however, while we are still on this shore, I pray our traditions, silly or thoughtful, always, in a way, point to Christ for the benefit of our souls and for the glory of Our Lord.  Amen!
Grant placing "El Niño Dios" inside the stable after finding Him

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.