Monday, December 16, 2019

Kids' Ornaments

Nativity at Kraynak's

The kids and I FINALLY went to Kraynak's last night to see the Christmas tree display.  This is a tradition we have had since Grant was born.  Long gone are the days of pushing a stroller around the row of Christmas wonder...but we still go...Mom and two teens, lining up in the cold, inching our way through the farm toys and trinkets, until finally, we enter the winding road of twinkling lights, sweet smells, colors and sounds that transport us to a magical place where we can truly, for 5 minutes, leave our troubles and stress behind.

What a blessing that place is.  What a blessing.

I don't know, with Grant being a Senior and all, if the tradition will continue.  All I know is that, once again, this year, we were able to go and be blessed by the efforts this store makes to ignite the Christmas flame in our soul.

The tradition calls also for the picking of the kids' ornaments.  Every year, after we walk through the display, we go to see the plethora of hanging flare and I let the kids spend some time carefully picking the one that speaks to them.  When they were too little to pick, I picked for them.  I remember that my guiding thought for selecting was to find one that represented the things I thought they liked.  We've got Elmo ornaments, Blues Clues, snowmen, robots, firemen...then, as they started picking their own, things got interesting: sock monkeys, Spongebob, dogs, ninja turtles, Mr. Potato Head, Yoda, pizza, icecream cones,  cookies and milk, Coca Cola bottles, whales, rhinos and suitcases started making their appearance in the kids' Christmas tree...

I love the whole thing!  The best part is when the boys decorate their tree (yes, they have their own tree where they hang their ornaments) and they spend time unwrapping their ornaments and reminiscing.  It's a trip back in the history of their lives and it is wonderful to watch them laugh at their choices, trying to piece together the thought line that took them to picking that squirrel ornament or the mochachino with whip cream glass...or the Elvis in full Vegas garb???

After they are done and gone to sleep, I stand by the "decorated" tree and admire their work.  I have to admit that I do a great bit of rearranging because I, inevitably find the ornaments not evenly distributed...but I certainly praise God for each and every one of those whimzical objects, because they represent the lives of my sons...and I know how precious a gift that is...and it helps me focus on the reason we do all we do during this season: the birth of God's Own Son, Our Dear Lord Jesus.

I don't want to go through whatever little is left of the Christmas season preoccupied with the things that don't matter.  I pray that the Holy Spirit guides me and helps me focus my eyes and my mind on the truth of this time of the year: God is with us!  Praise the Lord!

So, it is my prayer that whatever traditions we may have, would point to Christ and His Sacrifice of Love for us.  Happy 10 days before Christmas!!!  Talk to you soon, you all!






No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.