Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Priorities

Last night, after an exhausting day of school and basketball, Dylan came home with one desire:  to chillax.  Reality hit, him, however, when not only could he not "chillax," but he found even more stress to pile up onto his already heavy burden.  I saw him on the verge of tears, and it reminded me of...me...

I don't know how many days I find myself tearing up because of all the stuff that is piled up on my plate...I keep complaining about it, but, I keep piling up more stuff on it...then, tear ducts fill up, ready to let the tears roll down my cheeks to fulfill one of their main functions:  escape valve.   But I don't allow it...so the stress just accumulates inside of my body and heart until I explode and then the whole thing crumbles down...

Not very encouraging, I know...but, my point is: I need to set my priorities straight.

"There are things that are non-negotiable, like school work:  you cannot neglect school work because of your extracurricular activities.  Therefore, you need to see what you are going to have to sacrifice.  Our guess is, you will have to sacrifice couch-time and mindless activities like videogames and favorite shows."  This is what we told Dylan last night when we realized he had indeed, been neglecting school work.  What do I need to sacrifice in order to keep up with MY non-negotiables?  But, first of all, what are my non-negotiables?

Lines from a song come to mind:  "In the morning, when I rise, just give me Jesus..."

Jesus is my non-negotiable.

I have to make room for my relationship with Jesus, no matter what I need to sacrifice.  Then, my family...the people around me...and last, on the bottom of the pile: work.

I cannot put work first any longer.  If I need to neglect something, it will have to be work.  I know, it's going to be hard.  But, nothing worthwhile comes easily.  Somehow I will have to figure out a way to organize my priorities and put work behind what really matters:  Christ and those He has placed in my life.  I don't know how I will do it...but it needs done.  Maybe this is the beginning of a New Year's resolution???  I guess we shall see, in the meantime, Just Give Me Jesus!!!  and a little bit of time for some Christmas movie watching :)  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.